• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisting into Naval Aviation

AHSTiger45

Hi,

I have been looking about going into the Navy for a few months
now. Im currently about to be a SR.,and going to apply for DEP soon. I have been talking it over with my parents who are in the Navy as well,and they said I should look at going into aviation. They had mentioned AW,and Im very intrested in that,but Im also wondering if there are other? And about the requirements,and they VERY strict about the hearing portion? I dont hear perfectly,but its still very good(like 87%,not 100%) Thanks for the help!

gotta_fly

pilot
I would check out http://www.navy.com/careers/enlisted/aviation/ and get in touch with a recruiter. I don't know the answer to your hearing question is, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on here has asked a similar question. Try running a search on here for that and see what you come up with.

Good luck, and welcome to AW!

AHSTiger45

I would check out http://www.navy.com/careers/enlisted/aviation/ and get in touch with a recruiter. I don't know the answer to your hearing question is, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone on here has asked a similar question. Try running a search on here for that and see what you come up with.

Good luck, and welcome to AW!

Thanks,yea I ahve seen the site before,thanks. Okay,I forgot about the search,Ill give that ago! Thanks for the help :D.

flopper

If you plan on going career, enlist in the reserves, get your pay entry basic date, come home and go to college for your bachelor's and get a commission. If you want a good job on the outside look into medical jobs (except corpsman)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Hi,

I have been looking about going into the Navy for a few months
now. Im currently about to be a SR.,and going to apply for DEP soon. I have been talking it over with my parents who are in the Navy as well,and they said I should look at going into aviation. They had mentioned AW,and Im very intrested in that,but Im also wondering if there are other? And about the requirements,and they VERY strict about the hearing portion? I dont hear perfectly,but its still very good(like 87%,not 100%) Thanks for the help!
AW is an outstanding opportunity. I've often thought that if I knew more about what I was getting into when I enlisted (before this fancy interweb thingy), AW was something I definitely would've wanted to do.

A google search of "Aviation Warfare Systems Operator" instead of just AW will turn up lots of good info.

Here's a start: http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/OccStandards/CHAPTER 12.htm

Good Luck.

FSF17

pilot
As for the hearing... in my experience, they aren't too picky when it comes to hearing problems. I had ear problems when I was a kid, and have some hearing loss as well, and it hasen't been a problem. IIRC, my hearing long ago was 85% in one ear and 95% in the other... don't know what it is now, though.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
If you plan on going career, enlist in the reserves, get your pay entry basic date, come home and go to college for your bachelor's and get a commission. If you want a good job on the outside look into medical jobs (except corpsman)

Why not corpsman?

highside7r

None
Tiger,
Give me a PM and I'll tell you all about the AW rate, my enlisted job for 10yrs. As mentioned, go officer!

AHSTiger45

Tiger,
Give me a PM and I'll tell you all about the AW rate, my enlisted job for 10yrs. As mentioned, go officer!

Thanks for all the replies everyone,they have been helpful.

And Ill give you a pm thanks!

Im gonna try and take the ASVAB next week hopefully!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If you want a good job on the outside look into medical jobs (except corpsman)

Raising the bullshit flag. My mother and my sister's father are both retired HM's. Not sure what he's doing, but had my mother not had medical issues, she'd have had a damn good job on the outside.

AHSTiger45

Well this really blows...my parents just told me that the AW rating is really hard to get now because they have so many in it right now :*(.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Well this really blows...my parents just told me that the AW rating is really hard to get now because they have so many in it right now :*(.

Huh, I thought AWs were in short supply since they hadn't been identified as a rate to push for the GWOT (as opposed to SEAL, EOD, etc).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Come on man....don't just take what your parents tell you as gospel. If you want to do it, freaking apply! Do you think any of us applied for Pilot/NFO seats because they seemed easy to get? When you want something in life, make it happen!

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor

Everything in The Nav is cyclical. I enlisted as an AW when they were in short supply and getting huge re-enlistment bonuses. About halfway through the training pipeline word came down that the AW rate was over manned. Good bye bonus. By the time I was getting out bonuses were coming back (still didn't re-enlist though). If it is something you want, go see a recruiter and start the process.