• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enlisting into Naval Aviation

AHSTiger45

The thing is Id love to do it,just both my parents are Detailers up here,and they have close ties with alot of the people at the recuiting head,and they said that which sucks,and said I should think about IS or something since they are in short supply,but wtf,desk job ftl :(,

Flyboylance

New VR FTS select
pilot
Come on man....don't just take what your parents tell you as gospel. If you want to do it, freaking apply! Do you think any of us applied for Pilot/NFO seats because they seemed easy to get? When you want something in life, make it happen!

LOVE THIS>> Words to live by

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
both my parents are Detailers up here,and they have close ties with alot of the people at the recuiting head,and they said that which sucks,and said I should think about IS or something since they are in short supply,but wtf,desk job ftl :(,
Your parents are teaching you an essential Navy Life Lesson.

...and that lesson is:

Detailers lie.

Circle K

pilot
I'm going to call BS on the AW manning issue too, don't worry Bates I know it has nothing to do with the detailers...
At least here in LAMPS they are in such short supply that it's a huge deal if we get more than one FRAC (brand new AW from the FRS) per year. There's also been talk that the wing would take all the AW's, then loan them back to the squadrons as necessary. Unless otherwise scheduled our AW's are on at least one flight a day, every day.

Tiger, if you want AW, I'm positive there is a place for you.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
If you plan on going career, enlist in the reserves, get your pay entry basic date, come home and go to college for your bachelor's and get a commission. If you want a good job on the outside look into medical jobs (except corpsman)

But if he is relying on the military for the college money, reserve pay is not going to cut it. Reservists only get a fraction of the GI Bill benefits that active folks get. I was using my GI Bill on active duty, once I used all my tuition assistance each year.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
If you go in to your recruiters office and tell them the only way you'll enlist is if you can go in as an AW Aircrewman, I bet you they will do what they can to make that happen. Thats what I did 7 years ago. I went in and told them I wanted to be Aircrew. The recruiter said that they didn't need aircrewman at the time and to pick something else. I said nope, aircrew or nothing. 10 minutes later, somehow an aircrew spot opened up for me. Funny how that works. They are just like car salesmen.