• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enterprise grounded

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
WAVY News 10 has learned the USS Enterprise was involved in an incident Sunday in Hampton Roads which rendered it dead in the water.

Navy officials say the ship was pulling out of the Northrop Grumman Newport News shipyard Sunday and came too close to a sand bar as the tugs were turning it around.

The aircraft carrier sucked sand and silt into its condensers - equipment that helps power the ship.

The system automatically shut down.

A spokesman saying if it hadn't shutdown, it would have been equivalent to putting sand in your car's gas tank, it could have blown out the engines.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3960557&nav=23ii

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Well that just reenforces the view of the almighty US Navy...well anyway, obviously someone is going to get a bad fitrep for it...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because the CO of the Enterprise has steering control over the tugs? So is the Ike going to take its place for ops? Hmmm....

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Because the CO of the Enterprise has steering control over the tugs? So is the Ike going to take its place for ops? Hmmm....

Well someone is gonna get in some trouble for it, even if they are a civilian...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or several civilians...concur. I'm curious as to the details/factors contributing to this mishap.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
There are three situations where the CO of a carrier would not be held responsible if the ship ran aground (in dry dock, .....). I learned them in one of my NROTC classes but forgot. Maybe Steve can fill it in.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I'm curious as to the details/factors contributing to this mishap.

I bet it had something to do with the gravitational pull of the lunar shift differential...ok, yeah I have no idea... I agree it will be interesting to see what they find...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are three situations where the CO of a carrier would not be held responsible if the ship ran aground (in dry dock, .....). I learned them in one of my NROTC classes but forgot. Maybe Steve can fill it in.

yes, that is correct....just learned that last week in class. The CO is only not responsible for the ship when going either through the Panama Canal, or a drydock.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, I'm going off of my experiences from ship and the little thing they call NSI. The OOD is in charge of telling the tugs what to do. So if the OOD tells the forward tug to push light and the bow ends up running aground then well, that's the OOD's fault. Of course through the COC it ends up being th CO and others that take the brunt of the blame, but you all know that much and I don't need to go into it.

Bottom line is that the tugs are under the control of the ship and are not on their own.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not the First time the Big-E has run aground (assuming the story is true). I was onboard in OCT of 1985, when we ran into Bishop's Rock off of San Diego. There was a HUGE 50 foot gash in the side of the ship. It also ran aground during it's return from Westpac 1982.

ea6bflyr
(and yes, I know I am OLD)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm going off of my experiences from ship and the little thing they call NSI. The OOD is in charge of telling the tugs what to do.....Bottom line is that the tugs are under the control of the ship and are not on their own.
As a former Sea and Anchor OOD on a CVN, the Harbor Pilot (River Pilot in this case?) is telling the tugs what to do directly through a hand-held radio. The OOD or Conning Officer never talks to them - they talk to the helm and leehelm. Even than, they are usually just parroting the Pilot's "suggestions".

That being said, if the ship is found at fault, the CO, OOD, Conning Officer and Navigator will all probably go down.

What you said might be true on the small boys. Steve will have to chime in there.