• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Enterprise grounded

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not the First time the Big-E has run aground (assuming the story is true). I was onboard in OCT of 1985, when we ran into Bishop's Rock off of San Diego. There was a HUGE 50 foot gash in the side of the ship. It also ran aground during it's return from Westpac 1982.

ea6bflyr
(and yes, I know I am OLD)

This is the case where the LSOs saw the red light go down the side of the ship...

I heard this was caused by a guy formerly in my squadron VF-114, LT Pete "Squirt" Pfabe who was running around the O-3 level with an Uzi looking squirt gun. Security Marines saw him and called away a security alert.. Bridge got distracted...no one paid attention to Bishop Rock. Result: one scraped ship.

Makes for a good sea story...remember any of that FLyr?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is the case where the LSOs saw the red light go down the side of the ship...

I heard this was caused by a guy formerly in my squadron VF-114, LT Pete "Squirt" Pfabe who was running around the O-3 level with an Uzi looking squirt gun. Security Marines saw him and called away a security alert.. Bridge got distracted...no one paid attention to Bishop Rock. Result: one scraped ship.

Makes for a good sea story...remember any of that FLyr?

Nope...All I remember was I was driving my tow-tractor on the Flight Deck wondering why there were so many bouys so danged close to the ship in the middle of the ocean....then within minutes I heard "Flooding, flooding..." and then the ship took on nasty 5 degree list or so.

We anchored next to San Clemente and had the divers take a look. We were on REFTRA (Old Term) and most of the crew was hoping we'd pull in. BUT, Nope, we flooded the other side and proceeded to enjoy the next 3 weeks taking JP-5 showers and drinking JP-5 bug juice.....Oh, yeah....the Skipper & NAV were releived for cause AND CAPT Lueshner (sp?) still made RDML.

I think he was shining a seat with his A$$ until his retirement.

Schnug, thanks for backfill....I had never heard that...then again I was just an E-3 at the bottom of the food chain...
ea6bflyr

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a former Sea and Anchor OOD on a CVN, the Harbor Pilot (River Pilot in this case?) is telling the tugs what to do directly through a hand-held radio. The OOD or Conning Officer never talks to them - they talk to the helm and leehelm. Even than, they are usually just parroting the Pilot's "suggestions".

That being said, if the ship is found at fault, the CO, OOD, Conning Officer and Navigator will all probably go down.

What you said might be true on the small boys. Steve will have to chime in there.
We never talked to the tugs either. We train inthe simulators by giving the tugs commands, but in practice the harbor pilot does it himself. As for the CO, OOD, etc. going down....what the heck would they go down for? They didn't run aground.

Side note: nothing on the high side about this incident