• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ethics class

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschlik

For our ethics class, we've been asked to find a junior officer who has had an ethically challenging experience. If anyone would be willing to share one with me, I would appreciate it. Assignment follows:

"NROTC students contact a junior officer in the Fleet; civilian students, a junior manager in a business or non-profit organization. Ask that person to share with you a recent ethical issue that he or she has confronted. In your paper, briefly summarize the issue and discuss the ethical aspects of the situation as your contact saw it and as you see it. Include what action the interviewee took (or is planning to take), as well as any different action you would have taken."

Thank you in advance for your help.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For our ethics class, we've been asked to find a junior officer who has had an ethically challenging experience. If anyone would be willing to share one with me, I would appreciate it. Assignment follows:

"NROTC students contact a junior officer in the Fleet; civilian students, a junior manager in a business or non-profit organization. Ask that person to share with you a recent ethical issue that he or she has confronted. In your paper, briefly summarize the issue and discuss the ethical aspects of the situation as your contact saw it and as you see it. Include what action the interviewee took (or is planning to take), as well as any different action you would have taken."

Thank you in advance for your help.

I don't know the particulars of how they run the program up there, but the Mids/OCs here usually conduct their officer interviews in person. I personally think that that's a value added way to approach the problem because there are certain things you're going to get out of a live interview that you just can't replicate through electronic media. Bottom line, do what your OIs want, but also consider what will give you the best learning experience, not just what's most expedient. ;)

Brett

jschlik

Yes I could understand why that would be important, but other than the unit staff there aren't many officers around. I would like to get a current example from the modern fleet. Because I am going into the aviation community I thought it would be good to get an example from a person in the aviation community.
Our OI has not mandated a face-to-face interview and this bulletin board seems like a good resource to find someone that I would likely do a phone interview with. So I'm not just trying to be "expedient".

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Might be kind of a hike to do in person (which I think makes the most sense myself; 70-90% of communication is nonverbal) but maybe you and a buddy or two could get in touch with some folks at Whidbey and head up there together or something. Just a thought.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Might be kind of a hike to do in person (which I think makes the most sense myself; 70-90% of communication is nonverbal) but maybe you and a buddy or two could get in touch with some folks at Whidbey and head up there together or something. Just a thought.

NRD Seattle, Everett, Bremerton, Bangor, Keyport - all closer than Whidbey. Plenty of Os there. For that matter, McChord or Ft Lewis. I'm sure the USAF and Army Os have all kinds of ethics issues to discuss. ;)

Brett

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
NRD Seattle, Everett, Bremerton, Bangor, Keyport - all closer than Whidbey. Plenty of Os there. For that matter, McChord or Ft Lewis. I'm sure the USAF and Army Os have all kinds of ethics issues to discuss. ;)

Brett
9338505_240X180.jpg

You should go find this yahoo. What a tool ...

jschlik

Wow. I find it hard to beleive that no one has an ethical delimma they have faced in the fleet and feel like posting on this board. Instead you have just made it into a joke.
My roommate posted the same question on the SWO site board and got more than half a dozen great responses. He also got kudos for great use of an online resource from one of our JO's.
Thank you all, for what little help you have given me.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Wow. I find it hard to beleive that no one has an ethical delimma they have faced in the fleet and feel like posting on this board. Instead you have just made it into a joke.
My roommate posted the same question on the SWO site board and got more than half a dozen great responses. He also got kudos for great use of an online resource from one of our JO's.
If sailorbob is more to your liking I suspect you will have a much smoother future there.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You have to read carefully what people are saying. The great minds of this board DID give you great advice ... go do it in person. There is a lot more to a personal story that what can be gathered from the words on a screen. The people here are not robots, there is A LOT of personallity on this board. What you seem to take as jokes are tid bits of information that can be gathered into a much larger picture than you can get elsewhere. Good luck, however.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

I am having an ethical dilemma right now....I want to flame you for your tantrum, but am choosing to mentor you instead....Here's some free advice....Never air your temper on a public forum. :watching3

If you looking to become an aviator type, these are the types you will deal with it. welcome.

Lefty

Amazing

Gentlemen-

I’m not exactly certain as to the purpose of this forum. Is it to share insights on Naval Aviation and personal experiences with current and aspiring Naval Aviators or is it to use as a personal sounding board?

Although the advice started off innocuous enough, the student was looking for aviation-related issues, which makes Bremerton, Everett, etc less than ideal. He also stated that he was hoping to set something up for a phone interview. Perhaps some of you are used to putting personal critiques of body language into your reports, but I’m not sure what could be gathered from a personal story that could not be captured via a series of phone calls or even an electronic exchange.

It seemed like a pretty simple request, and if you don’t want to share your personal story, that’s certainly your prerogative. However, it absolutely amazes me that our shoe brethren, when given this same request were more than willing to help out, while on this website several of you, mostly student naval aviators and other midshipmen, decided to hijack this request to interject your own views on other topics as well as deride the student for having the audacity to make such a request.

Congratulations, boys. You just out-shoed the black shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.