• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ethiopia attacks Somalia Islamic council

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061224/ap_on_re_af/somalia

This just in...

Not too familiar with the region to be honest, but I'd be curious to see how this plays out WRT the GWOT.

It isn't the first time we've subdued an Islamic pirate state...

"From the halls of Moctezuma, to the shores of Somali (again...)?" :eek:

EDIT: search "blood stripe" instead of asking... please, for me, one of the children.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

This just in...

Not too familiar with the region to be honest, but I'd be curious to see how this plays out WRT the GWOT.

"From the halls of Moctezuma, to the shores of Somali (again...)?" :eek:

EDIT: search "blood stripe" instead of asking... please, for me, one of the children.

Can you say Vietnam syndrome?

Brett

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

This just in...

Don't be suprised if we are only involved peripherally, we don't want to get drawn into that mess. It is starting to turn into a proxy war between Ethiopia, who is supporting the 'official' government and Eritrea, who is supplying the Islamic Courts Union. Not something we really don't want to get in the middle of.

Here is a good summary of the war they fought from '98-'00, pretty bloody but very conventional war:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/eritrea.htm

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
My unit was one of the PSCs in Djibouti... word is that things were heating up over there while they were deployed, and that was 5 months ago. They specifically mentioned tension between Ethiopia and Somalia. Sounds like the situation is only getting worse. But, as far as our involvement, the JTF at Camp Lemonier in Djibouti will probably handle the majority of GWOT activities in the region. (to my knowledge anyway)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I am glad to hear we are kicking the retched Islamist Court types out of Somalia. Ethiopia has been a solid ally - they are taking the fight to these bastards and putting them in their place. It's time to get Islam out of SE Africa.

This is a good fight - worth watching and US supporting on the Ethiopian side...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am glad to hear we are kicking the retched Islamist Court types out of Somalia. Ethiopia has been a solid ally - they are taking the fight to these bastards and putting them in their place. It's time to get Islam out of SE Africa.

This is a good fight - worth watching and US supporting on the Ethiopian side...

That's like saying that it's time to get Christianity out of North America. What's the plan here, mass conversions at gunpoint? I'm all for deposing the theocracies of the world, but you can't just go around changing people's fundamental belief systems.

Brett

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Perhaps he meant radical Islam? I see your point though... Islam is a fairly peaceful religion. I would say that we need to get some of the radical factions down there under control, regardless of their religous affiliation.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not to mention the Islamists were actually providing for the Somali people, unlike the warlord culture that it will revert to.

Crap, I'm being sucked into a political discussion....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, but that pesky First Amendment.... :rolleyes:

Do you just have a congenital propensity to misunderstand everything that I post, or do you do it intentionally to draw negative attention to yourself? Show my original post to the Airmen in the Line Shack - they'll explain it to you.

Brett