• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Expanding Military pressence in Hawaii

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, Alameda was closed about 10yrs ago . . .

paikea

Eight-year-olds, Dude.
It was. I saw it pier-side in early 1996, around March or so when I was out there on a trip just prior to going to TBS.

Yeah, my dad gave a Vinson hat that year when he took a tour on the ship. I was so jealous I didn't get a chance to go.

LoneSailor

How awesome would that be -- to be a (put aircraft name here) pilot and doing it in Hawaii? Dream job? I know the HSL guys love it, Kailua/Kaneohe side of the island is probably the most beautiful side of Oahu. By the way, I think I saw some F-18s flying over Hickam about a week ago, they could've been F-16's but I know for a fact the ANG here flies only F-15s. Anyway they were too high for me to distinguish.

East

东部
Contributor
Was last week at the USS Arizona Memorial (thursday morning) and saw also those 2 F-18's in the break over Hickam, AFB.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....By the way, I think I saw some F-18s flying over Hickam about a week ago, they could've been F-16's but I know for a fact the ANG here flies only F-15s. Anyway they were too high for me to distinguish.
Probably F-16's unless a USN carrier was working in the area -- then maybe F-18's. Mainland ANG F-16 outfits frequently go TAD to Hickam and work the areas against the HANG F-15's. They stage out of the transient det ramp on the makai side of the field.

The reason they were "too high" for you to ID was probably 'cause that's the way they re-enter the field: I've seen it a thousand times overhead Ko'Olina when the boys are comin' home. Air Force RTB formation ... i.e., same-way-same-day. They also frequently screw with airline traffic going into HNL --- made us go around once as they could not figure out how to get their 3 airplanes off the runway in a timely fashion. :)

Typical HANG radio transmissions overheard while entering the "pitch":

" ... let's tighten it up, guys ... that's it ... 500-1000' in trail ... oooops .... don't hit me .... 500' abeam ... oooooppss ..... you almost hit me .... who's that smokin' .... oooooops .... lookin' GOOD now !!! Da' Wahines will love us!!! " :)

Da' HANG Bruddahs RTB to Hickam ... gonna get some huli-huli cheeken an a plate lunch when dey land, hey !!! Break da' mout' !!!