• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye Glasses = No Aviation?

dreamhigh

Air Padawan
I wear some glasses with a really low strength - i think my vision is 20/23. Will they only take potential pilots who dont wear glasses at all? Has anybody ever taken the physical, who used glasses normally, yet still passed the eye exam?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
there are pilots with glasses. dont know the situations but i've seen them out there.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My roommate has 20/30 vision. He must wear glasses while flying. No big deal.

You must be 20/40 or better, correctable to 20/20.

dreamhigh

Air Padawan
Okay - according to my doctor my left eye is 20/80 and my right eye is 20/30. Yet with glasses it is correctable to 20/20. So does this mean im good to go?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to the regulations I know, no. Your 20/80 is no good. Let's see if someone with more knowledge knows.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I've got 20/35 or 20/30, depending on the physical. At NOMI jsut before API I found out I'd have to wear glasses, which they issue, but could still fly. As Fly said, so long as its below 20/40 correctable to 20/20 you're golden.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
dreamhigh said:
Okay - according to my doctor my left eye is 20/80 and my right eye is 20/30. Yet with glasses it is correctable to 20/20. So does this mean im good to go?

I'm almost certain you're within standards to go NFO (an option that if you really want to fly, you shouldn't rule out)

dreamhigh

Air Padawan
TheBubba said:
I'm almost certain you're within standards to go NFO (an option that if you really want to fly, you shouldn't rule out)

good point - i do want to fly, that may be an option indeed.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
According to NOMI, you are exempt from SNA because you have one eye worse than 20/40. But you definitely qualify for SNFO (if it makes u feel better, I have 20/500). Check it out yourself.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm#sna

DVA
20/40 (minus zero) on Goodlite chart, each eye, corrected to 20/20 minus (zero) or better each eye. If uncorrected vision is less than 20/20 each eye the correction must be worn while flying

nugget81

pilot
illinijoe05 said:
You could try getting PRK that would get you within specs.

For 20/23 vision? That's a very big risk with very little payoff. I'm a proponent of PRK, but not in this case.

But if you're making reference to the 20/80 case, I would say go for it. I had 20/70 & 20/100 before my surgery.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
uh, how the F do they measure down to 20/23? Do you get credit for getting some of the 20/20 line right?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
nocal80 said:
uh, how the F do they measure down to 20/23? Do you get credit for getting some of the 20/20 line right?
They sneak in an ampersand on the 20/25 line. If you get it right, you get bonus points.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
nyuk nyuk

Seriously PRK is great. New waveform lasers make success rate over 98% these days. I had my vision corrected to 20/10 and I used to not be able to see the wall 3 feet in front of me. I still didn't get picked up for pilot but oh well, NFO is pretty friggin cool anyway.