• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Eye Glasses = No Aviation?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Basic vision requirements for pilot are 20/40, correctable to 20/20. There are other specifics which NAMI can answer. My first flight physical for the Navy, I was 20/20. By the time I hit P-cola, I was 20/25 and had to wear glasses when I flew. I had PRK two years ago as part of the eye study for pilots. Ended up with 20/12 each eye. Just so you know, the eye standards relax a bit more when you get winged. I think 20/100 or so, correctable to 20/20.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Physicx said:
Is there a certain limit your eyes have to be in before you get PRK?

Not sure if it's a limit but your eyes need to be stable. For example, the eye doc looked at my last three yearly eye exams before I had my PRK. There was no change in my vision. I guess my eyes had gone as bad as they were going to. I assume if your eyes are still changing and PRK is performed, they may continue to change after the surgery. My eyesight has stayed pretty much 20/12 since my surgery 2.5 years ago.

topgungtv

If NOMI gives you glasses, does that disqualify you or give you any less of a chance of getting jets??? I just went through NOMI to find out I have 20/25 when I missed ONE letter. Thanks.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If NOMI gives you glasses, does that disqualify you or give you any less of a chance of getting jets??? I just went through NOMI to find out I have 20/25 when I missed ONE letter. Thanks.

Your vision has nothing to do with what you select. Unless there's some sort of special circumstance with your eyes, vision doesn't play a part in what you select.

topgungtv

Wheeew!:glasses_1 I am so relieved...I felt almost crushed after the NOMI. Thanks guys. Although I feel bad for my roommate. He was SNFO and got NPQ'd because he has some disorder where his left eye is not correctable to 20/20. He is prolly going restricted line or get out.:(