• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-14 tail washes up in Ireland

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hozer said:
Now their deadly P-3F! That's another story! It's got a mean searchlight!
Cheers...
They're gonna need it to search for all the pilots we knock out of the sky.

Brett

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Okay...how's this one?

...how about the crash and salvage bird was left on the ex-America when it had the crap blown out of it. The ship sinks, some debris manages to remain afloat. The vert stab just floats in the Gulf Stream until it works its way over to Ireland.
Yes, I'm drinking...

Mefesto, oh yeah...your intel bubbas should be all over it. NSAWC has some good stuff too, but I'm sure you know more about that than I do.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I knock out of the sky!!:) :)

Edit: see Brett's post.
And Mefesto do read up on NSAWC. Lots of good stuff recently.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
I've tried to dig through some of the NSAWC journals, just not a lot of free time to hang out in the vault. The Cope India issue was an eye opener.
NSAWC Journal is to tactics as Mech Magazine is to NATOPS. :D

Brett

rare21

pilot
Contributor
warneversolved.jpg

kratebike

Private Pilot
PropStop said:
I think Lt. Marks has "fixed the glitch"

"Mr. Marks told me to talk to NAVAIR and NAVAIR told me to talk to Mr. Marks and I still have not recieved new orders and they moved my parking spot down the flight line and there was an F-8 on it."

How about an F-4?

macattack

Back to the topic... :)

Looks like the said F-14 crashed into the Gulf of Mexico in 2002 (copied the below info from a message board where I first read the story):

The F-14 Tail fin belongs to VF-101 AD-136. Bu Number 162594.
Formerly of VF-111 squadron "SUNDOWNERS"
Crashed 3rd October 2002 Near Key West, Florida

Below is the story which made the Miami Herald.

KEY WEST, Fla. _
A Navy pilot and a radar intercept officer escaped with their lives Thursday night after their F-14 Tomcat fighter jet plunged into the Gulf of Mexico.
The men, whose names have not been released, were taking part in a "dogfight" training exercise off Key West. They are members of the VF-101 fleet replacement squadron based at Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach, Va.
Shortly after ejecting from the jet with minor injuries, the men were rescued by a Navy helicopter.
Their $50 million F-14 didn't fare so well.
The Miami Herald (via Knight-Ridder/Tribune News Service), October 4, 2002.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
I'm curious as to where these people get their stats from. I've heard the Tomcat quoted by the press from 30 to 60 million per unit. (first time I've heard 50) :confused:

nugget81

pilot
flysupertomcat said:
I'm curious as to where these people get their stats from. I've heard the Tomcat quoted by the press from 30 to 60 million per unit. (first time I've heard 50) :confused:

Isn't 50 between 30 and 60? It was the last time I checked....:eek:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nugget81 said:
Yeah, and is that in 2006 dollars, or 1978 dollars? :D

Brett

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
nugget81 said:

I'm trying to figure out where I said 50 wasn't between 30 and 60, please help me with that since you seem to have derived that from somewhere in my post.

I merely said that was the first time I've ever heard someone say the Tomcat had a $50 million price tag and that I've heard from 30 up to 60.