• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-16 Bumper Stickers

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Nicknames like "lawn dart" and "whistling shit can of death" aren't terms of endearment.

Haha...I've done a lot of flying around Hill AFB in Ogden, UT, a major F-16 base, and I can't help but wonder what SLC TRACON would say if I responded to a traffic callout with, "Have the whistling shit cans of death in sight."

FLY_USMC

pilot
The block 60's with the conformal tanks and upgraded avionics is one BAMF.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the Block 30's that are considered the BAMF's. Big motors, light weight, if speed is life, I hear this is living good. Big motor A+ only faster, yikes!!
The F-16 A thru C is a better all-around a/c (IMHO) than the F-18 A thru D.
I'm virtually slapping you for dogging the Legacy Hornet. The Navy spent XX.X Billion on the Super and it's still underpowered so I guess 25 years later they still didn't figure it out. I hear their radar is tits though.
Why do I keep seeing the F-16 referred to as 'Viper'? I always though its nickname was 'Falcon', 'Fighting Falcon' or some derivative thereof. Is it a term for a specific variant?
I "hear" it's really fun around Viper guys to continously call it the "Fighting Falcon." Guess they like that.

HuggyU2

None
Renegade One: here's another,
The Dorrito Jet: crunch all you want,... we'll make more!

porw004, you won't find Viper pilots calling their jet "the Falcon". The USAF names jets, usually without the input of folks below the rank of Brigadier General. The F-16 guys wanted Viper, and the Generals said "no". But Viper stuck.

FYI: the USAF has the lead on naming joint service jets, as evidenced by the F-35 "Lightning II". Uninspired, unoriginal callsign, in my opinion. And the Navy/Marines get stuck with it too. I figure the initial cadre of drivers will come up with their own name.

F-16XL: it was called a "cranked arrow" delta wing, FWIW. I think that jet's stored down at Edwards, but can't be sure. One of our ex-U2 guys who is a NASA research pilot now said there is talk about maybe flying it again.

Bottom line: I'll make fun of the Viper all day long, but in the end, it is an amazing aircraft. I've got about 10+ hours in it, including one front seat sortie. And I've got about 6 hours in the B/D model Hornet. Not being a fighter pilot, I've obviously never gotten to fly them operationally,... but any jabs I take at either jet are just in fun: both do a great job. Sure, it would be great if they had 5 hours of fuel, and the loadout of an A-10,... but do you still believe in Santa?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Noob question incomming:

Why do I keep seeing the F-16 referred to as 'Viper'? I always though its nickname was 'Falcon', 'Fighting Falcon' or some derivative thereof. Is it a term for a specific variant?

See here:

http://www.f-16.net/articles_article10.html

Although the article does not mention it, one of the other sources for the nickname was the "Battlestar Galactica" television show. The fighter on that show was the "Viper", and early F-16 pilots saw the F-16's techy FBW systems and avionics as being very advanced, just like the fighter in the TV series.

ColonialViper.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Haha...I've done a lot of flying around Hill AFB in Ogden, UT, a major F-16 base, and I can't help but wonder what SLC TRACON would say if I responded to a traffic callout with, "Have the whistling shit cans of death in sight."

"whistling shit can of death" isn't a viper nickname, that one's for the Phrog from all the haters.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the Block 30's that are considered the BAMF's. Big motors, light weight, if speed is life, I hear this is living good. Big motor A+ only faster, yikes!!

I'm virtually slapping you for dogging the Legacy Hornet. The Navy spent XX.X Billion on the Super and it's still underpowered so I guess 25 years later they still didn't figure it out. I hear their radar is tits though.

I "hear" it's really fun around Viper guys to continously call it the "Fighting Falcon." Guess they like that.

Just TIC here, the Super Hornet may have a lower thrust-to-weight ratio & be a tick slower, but it do take mo stuff farther and spend less time butt-sucking gas from others than the original lawn darts.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Just TIC here, the Super Hornet may have a lower thrust-to-weight ratio & be a tick slower, but it do take mo stuff farther and spend less time butt-sucking gas from others than the original lawn darts.

I'll take my big motor, single seat, legacy C against a Super Hornet any day. They suck just as much as we do at doing 400 different missions, and hit the tanker just as many times on a 6.5 over Iraq as we do, they just have more bring back with a higher max trap, as it should being 30% larger with a thick draggy wing.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor

You know, I really didn't get that vibe from those guys. I'm stationed on an AF F-16 base and most of the F-16 guys I've run into and hung out with have been very chill. Their acceptance of non-Fighter Attack Guys was a shock to me, espeically given my platform background. Many of them were quite interested in what the mighty War-Pig does. This was 180 degrees out from my experiences with F-15 drivers and more than a few Hornet guys (none on this board though!). Great bunch of dudes really - hot wives to boot.