• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 Drops Inert Bomb in Virginia Beach

Rg9

pilot
The brief news coverage on Fox has annoyed me already. "Just a month ago, 'they' were flying nukes over the US..." No, dude, the Air Force was flying nukes over the US.

Anyway, is it easy to accidentally release weapons, or do mechanical malfunctions like this often occur? It seems like a fluke incident that will have a huge impact on future weapons training.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sucks to be SDO in that squadron today.

I'd rather be the SDO than the guy with the TFOA (or the skipper). At least the SDO will be relieved eventually, the other two will still be dealing with it day after day.....

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd rather be the SDO than the guy with the TFOA (or the skipper). At least the SDO will be relieved eventually, the other two will still be dealing with it day after day.....

HJ, I guess it fell pretty close to KNTU. Just glad no one hurt. I suspect after it's settled, some aviator might be walking around with a new call sign.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Probably a Mk 76 ... BFD, unless it comes through your roof. :)

mk76practicebombkl5.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyway, is it easy to accidentally release weapons, or do mechanical malfunctions like this often occur? It seems like a fluke incident that will have a huge impact on future weapons training.
Granted I'm not a fighter guy, but having dropped a little bit of the proverbial Blue Death in Advanced I would say possibly, sometimes and not bloody likely.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Anyway, is it easy to accidentally release weapons, or do mechanical malfunctions like this often occur?...
It's easy ... get one hung Mk 76 on the range (see it in the pix above -- funky little 25 lb single lug thingy) , bring it home, decide to BE SOMEBODY :eek: .... so you come into the break @ 450 KIAS and snap it --- buh-by birdie. :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Granted I'm not a fighter guy, but having dropped a little bit of the proverbial Blue Death in Advanced I would say possibly, sometimes and not bloody likely.

Wasn't there an IP we went through primay with whose call sign was some acronym along the lines of "Bullshit you hit the pickle with your elbow"?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Sucks to be SDO in that squadron today.

If you have access to SIPR and are ever having a bad day, google the Navy Operations Center and read the daily OPREP/SITREP archive. No matter how bad a day you are having, someone somewhere in the Navy is having a much worse one, and the gory details are posted for you to read. There are usually an interesting mix of mundane, sucks-to-be-him, yikes, and Holy Freakin' Shiite incidents to read about.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you have access to SIPR and are ever having a bad day, google the Navy Operations Center and read the daily OPREP/SITREP archive. No matter how bad a day you are having, someone somewhere in the Navy is having a much worse one, and the gory details are posted for you to read. There are usually an interesting mix of mundane, sucks-to-be-him, yikes, and Holy Freakin' Shiite incidents to read about.

That was what we did while in C5F for a year.

Kept us in touch with what was really going on...of course you couldn't tell anyone about it outside of work as most msg traffic was at least CONF. :(

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or maybe a BDU-48.
practi11.gif

The BDU-48/B is a 10-pound practice bomb. It is a thin-cased cylindrical bomb used to simulate retarded weapon delivery. The bomb is composed of the bomb body, a retractable suspension lug, a firing assembly, and box-type conical fins. The firing device consists of a firing pin assembly and a cotter pin. The BDU-48/B is painted blue. Identification nomenclature is stenciled in white letters on the bomb body. The bomb can use signal cartridge Mk 4 Mod 3, or CXU-3A/B. While handling or transporting bombs, loaders should avoid placing their bodies in line with either end of the bomb.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

My reserve duty is to stand watch in that center, to summarize all of those OPREP/SITREP's and post them on the web. I have to agree on the "No matter how bad a day you are having, someone somewhere in the Navy is having a much worse one" statement. While most of them are unfortunately DUI/Domestic Abuse/Arrest stuff, there are some that are just downright bizarre. Unfortunately the best ones I can't talk about here but Flyin is definitely right, sometimes a good read.