• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 Drops Inert Bomb in Virginia Beach

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
The "paper" says it was a BDU-48, indeed. Also, the Hornet has had missile interlocks in the past (see Aim-9s) sliding down the flight deck. I don't know how the BDU could have just fallen off the jet. I know they do "hung ordnance" approaches is something was supposed to leave the jet but didn't. Of course, if he was alone and unafraid, he may have been 'hung' and not known it.

I'm sure the anti-jet crowd in Va. Beach is going to be all over this one.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Or maybe a BDU-48.
practi11.gif

The BDU-48/B is a 10-pound practice bomb. It is a thin-cased cylindrical bomb used to simulate retarded weapon delivery. The bomb is composed of the bomb body, a retractable suspension lug, a firing assembly, and box-type conical fins. The firing device consists of a firing pin assembly and a cotter pin. The BDU-48/B is painted blue. Identification nomenclature is stenciled in white letters on the bomb body. The bomb can use signal cartridge Mk 4 Mod 3, or CXU-3A/B. While handling or transporting bombs, loaders should avoid placing their bodies in line with either end of the bomb.
Please tell me you did not recite that from a Tacmanual!? We had an S-3 have a 1000# MK83 inert into a farmers field in Georgia while on a low level. The wingman saw it come off, marked the lat/long, and they RTB'd. The next day, they went looking for it and could not find it. I wonder what happens when a $250,000 combine eat it up?

Huggy Bear

pilot
The "paper" says it was a BDU-48, indeed. Also, the Hornet has had missile interlocks in the past (see Aim-9s) sliding down the flight deck. I don't know how the BDU could have just fallen off the jet. I know they do "hung ordnance" approaches is something was supposed to leave the jet but didn't. Of course, if he was alone and unafraid, he may have been 'hung' and not known it.

I'm sure the anti-jet crowd in Va. Beach is going to be all over this one.

That is very common for BDU-48s to come off on a hung ordnance approach. The reduced airload as you slow down to land allows the bomb to come loose. My last squadron would always dirty up over the target area if we thought we hung a 48 just to prevent what happened in Va Beach.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Or maybe a BDU-48.
practi11.gif

I can't remember the nomenclature, but isn't that like a practice mine??? Or at least some type of retarded bomb, i.e., Snakeye?? Do F'ing-A 18's carry mines these days??? Do they actually have an attack profile for an air delivered mine in a fire-breathing, sleek-nosed, go-fast??? :eek:

F'ing-A 18's & mines??? SAY IT AIN'T SO !!!

The horror .... :eek:

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I can't remember the nomenclature, but isn't that like a practice mine??? Or at least some type of retarded bomb, i.e., Snakeye?? Do F'ing-A 18's carry mines these days??? Do they actually have an attack profile for an air delivered mine in a fire-breathing, sleek-nosed, go-fast??? :eek:

Nope, not a mine. High drag blue death to sim a Snakeye.

Huggy Bear

pilot

It's true. The hornet carries mines. But I can say with pride that in my whole career I only twice had to ever enter a mine code. It's actually kind of cool when you couple up the jet to the route you program to deliver the mines. Well... cool like the first time your dad let you mow the lawn kind of cool. I wouldn't want to do it more than twice.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wasn't there an IP we went through primay with whose call sign was some acronym along the lines of "Bullshit you hit the pickle with your elbow"?
That would be Flapwheel, for "Fucking lied about pickling with his elbow." AKA my onwing. That story is simultaneously scary and hilarious. I'm convinced that the Master Arm switch is the source of more buffoonery than any other switch in the cockpit. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nope, not a mine. High drag blue death to sim a Snakeye.

O.K., Mr. Smartie :) ... what's the diff between a BDU-48 and a Mk-106?? We used Mk-106's for both mine and Snakeye simulation.

Weight difference??? Ballistics??
They "look" the same.

Hmmmmm??? HMMMMMM??? HMMMMMM???? :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's true. The hornet carries mines. ....It's actually kind of cool when you couple up the jet to the route you program to deliver the mines. Well... cool like the first time your dad let you mow the lawn kind of cool. I wouldn't want to do it more than twice.
"Couple up" ... what's that??? :D

Actually, it's tough to fly a "proper" multiple mine-laying profile --- it's not a "straight line" --- i.e., hard in the sense that they have to be laid EXACTLY in the right spot to be effective and, of course, so YOU know where they are if you ever have to go back and sweep 'em ... and harder still if someone takes offense ... :eek:

minersmallerqx7.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Couple up" ... what's that??? :D

Actually, it's tough to fly a "proper" multiple mine-laying profile --- it's not a "straight line" --- i.e., hard in the sense that they have to be laid EXACTLY in the right spot to be effective and, of course, so YOU know where they are if you ever have to go back and sweep 'em ... and harder still if someone takes offense ... :eek:

minersmallerqx7.jpg

I have tried to look up some details of that op but have not found much about it. From what I remember reading, it was just a few A-6's and A-7's that dropped the mines and shut down Haiphong for the rest of the war. Any details?

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Please tell me you did not recite that from a Tacmanual!? We had an S-3 have a 1000# MK83 inert into a farmers field in Georgia while on a low level. The wingman saw it come off, marked the lat/long, and they RTB'd. The next day, they went looking for it and could not find it. I wonder what happens when a $250,000 combine eat it up?

If you've never walked the target area, I'd say the chance of hitting that bomb with the combine is about 20%. Most inert bombs auger in pretty good. I was able to walk a few target areas in my career and the measly Mk-76 would make a hole about 1.5 feet in diameter, 6 to 10 feet deep. Very cool. That being said, there was much blue death laying on the surface too.