• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 over Love Field/Dallas

smustang51

I was sitting outside at a restaurant in Uptown Dallas today and saw an F-18 fly right through the approach path to Love Field today. Anyone out there know whose it was? My guess is that he could have been out of VR-59 in Ft. Worth (I think those guys are still around). Regardless of who it was though, it was pretty awesome. I heard that roar that separates fighters from the rest of the jets that constantly fly over and almost dropped my hamburger when I saw it go by.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was sitting outside at a restaurant in Uptown Dallas today and saw an F-18 fly right through the approach path to Love Field today. Anyone out there know whose it was? My guess is that he could have been out of VR-59 in Ft. Worth (I think those guys are still around). Regardless of who it was though, it was pretty awesome. I heard that roar that separates fighters from the rest of the jets that constantly fly over and almost dropped my hamburger when I saw it go by.

Not 100% positive but it might have been the Marine hornet I took off behind yesterday from Navy Corpus. There was a Marine aviation fly-in here with planes on display. Marine hornet came from San Diego.

Anyone know for sure? That fvcker is LOUD when you're behind it!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VR-59 would be a Reserve cargo squadron. All Hornets are in either Navy VFA or VFC, or Marine VMFA squadrons.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
How about the Marine Reserve Squadron based at NJRB Carswell... VMFA-112 or something close to that. VFA-201 used to be there also but was decommed over a year ago.

B

Blutonski816

Yeah... always fun to see that... kind of stuff...

Hell, the campus here at UNLV is right in the elbow of the approach path for McCarran and at the end of the week Every once in a while I get to catch a pointy-nosed jet come to visit Vegas for the weekend, just the other week I caught 2 hornets in a sweet section takeoff... and the week before a pair Harriers of Flew right over my head as they flew across Tropicana Ave on final approach...

always great moto for us wingless wannabes to see stuff like that every once in a while....

My favorite though was one day I was out for my morning jog and a Cobra passed over head at what looked like no more that 200 ft...

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
"Uptown Dallas"???

Where is that??? Park Cities??? Lived in Big-D for over 10 years ... never heard that term used to describe ANYWHERE in the DFW Metroplex.

Thats what the snooty SMU kids refer to their snooty area as.:icon_wink

Flugelman

Contributor
"Uptown Dallas"???

Where is that??? Park Cities??? Lived in Big-D for over 10 years ... never heard that term used to describe ANYWHERE in the DFW Metroplex.

Yeah, I was kinda scratching my head on that one too. Lived here since '55... I'm guessing West End or Greenville Ave...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I was kinda scratching my head on that one too. Lived here since '55... I'm guessing West End or Greenville Ave...
That's what I kinda figured, too .... speaking of the Greenville Ave disco area ... that's where we used to send the airline press gangs through to get stewardess-recruits (a.k.a. flight attendants) for my first airline -- a Dallas based airline --- the press gang recruits weren't too awful smart, but the WERE gooooo-o-o-o-o-o-o-d lookin'.... and they knew how to dance. :D

MasterBates

How smart do you have to be to be a stewardess?

The spiel that the chick at Hooters has to give along with singing songs is harder than what stew's have to do.

When I am king, it will be stewardesses and stewards. None of this androgynous PC bullshat.

And the hot Southwest girls need to come back. And no, not the original ones that are still there, but are fat, frumpy and generally bitchy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
How smart do you have to be to be a stewardess?...
How smart?? Well, let's see .....

True story:

At my last airline, the F/A's had to go to airline skool for 6 weeks after being hired before being released to the line ... the pilots had to go 8 weeks.

When confronted w/ this knowledge, one of the young ladies in a F/A class said:

"DO YOU MEAN I COULD HAVE BEEN A PILOT IF I'D GONE TO SCHOOL FOR TWO MORE WEEKS .... "??!!?? :eek:

Ain't this a great country .... :D

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
That's what I kinda figured, too .... speaking of the Greenville Ave disco area ...

Wow..did we just have a "disco" sighting?

I just moved from the DFW metroplex and never saw a "disco area."

I lurk a fair amount but I couldn't let this go...sorry A4s:icon_tong

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Wow..did we just have a "disco" sighting?

I just moved from the DFW metroplex and never saw a "disco area."

I lurk a fair amount but I couldn't let this go...sorry A4s:icon_tong

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Yeah ... I don't know what to tell you.

Back-in-the-day, there was Gilley's (and some wanna-be clones) and Disco ... take your pick.

HEY!!! Come to think of it; John Revolta starred in both cinema versions ... what is one to make of THAT ... ??? :eek:

gilleysxt4.jpg
saturdaynightfeverng5.jpg

smustang51

"Uptown Dallas"???

Uptown is what used to be the ex-slave town of Dallas called Freedman's town. They tore all the old shanties down years ago though and replaced them with overpriced apartments and shops for us "snooty SMU" kids to spend our parents money on. It's the area west of 75, south of Knox and north of Pearl (for those who are familiar). It's great! I usually have my chauffeur drive me and a few of my friends there from campus in our coordinated polos with the collars obligatorily popped. After spending some time chargin up Dad's plastic we go to Javier's to have some cigar's and talk about how cool we are because we go to SMU.