• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-18 Squadrons

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Spend much time one circle against a Hornet in that old thing? :icon_tong
Naaaaaaahhhhh ..... never was too impressed with the product offered by Navy F-18's in their early days in the Fleet ... and quite frankly, the Canadians flew the CF-18 better than our "average" F-18 guy back-in-the-day.....:eek:

Ditto for the Navy F-4's (especially when the Turkey moved into Fleet 'rons and the only F-4's were in the Reserves) ... and then F-15's, F-14's ..... always went against them with "confidence".

Who's 'da best guys???

Back "then": Marine F-4's, anyone's F-5's, the F-16's flown by AF Century series fighter retreads coming out of training @ Willie and Luke .... and then there were those two broken down Montana Air Guard guys in their 106's ... one of the "hardest" fights I had @ Tyndall ... I thought they were going to be grapes ... they weren't. :)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I'm vaugley familiar with the evolution of the flight control software of the Hornet, and the early days to now are like the stone age to 21st century. I'd venture to say an experienced A-4 adversary would have his hands full against even a marginally competent Hornet guy. I've had no problem against Eagle and Viper guys that didn't understand the slow once circle concept, or ability of the Hornet. That's not to say I haven't been schwacked plenty of times by guys in an old F-5.