• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-22

eye_malfunction

TurnandBurn55 said:
Yes, there are tradeoffs in terms of speed and performance... but as if the F(not A)-22 didn't make tradeoffs as well. Supercruise and thrust vectoring are indeed revolutionary. Then again, let's look at the loadouts that the F-15E (the plane it's replacing) carried in OEF...

http://www.f-15estrikeeagle.com/weapons/loadouts/oef/oef.htm

Despite the fact that the F(not A)-22 costs (conservative estimate) 5 TIMES as much as the Strike Eagle, the best this gold-plated POS can do is carry two GBU-32s. Sounds like a step backwards to me.

I could be wrong but I believe the USAF plans to keep the Strike Eagle in service for a long time to come. The F/A-22 was supposed to replace the F-15C, which is only air-to-air, so I guess it's actually a step forward. Nobody can be sure of this though because it's no secret the USAF doesn't know how to make up its mind. It would be a bad mistake IMO to replace the Strike Eagle too, regardless if the technology is not as magnificent as that of the Raptor. Ideally the Raptor should provide air dominance and keep the skies clear of enemy fighters while the F-15E and the F/A-18 go in for the strike missions and the B-2 and F-117 go after targets that are deeper into enemy territory. The role of the Spirit and the Nighthawk could be replaced by the UAV though so that way a pilot couldn't be lost. I figure you lose a pilot anyways when you make him fly a UAV but eh, those are all my opinions and I'm sure as hell no war planner.

Edit: Happy New Year's everyone!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eye_malfunction said:
I could be wrong but I believe the USAF plans to keep the Strike Eagle in service for a long time to come. The F/A-22 was supposed to replace the F-15C, which is only air-to-air, so I guess it's actually a step forward. Nobody can be sure of this though because it's no secret the USAF doesn't know how to make up its mind. It would be a bad mistake IMO to replace the Strike Eagle too, regardless if the technology is not as magnificent as that of the Raptor. Ideally the Raptor should provide air dominance and keep the skies clear of enemy fighters while the F-15E and the F/A-18 go in for the strike missions and the B-2 and F-117 go after targets that are deeper into enemy territory. The role of the Spirit and the Nighthawk could be replaced by the UAV though so that way a pilot couldn't be lost. I figure you lose a pilot anyways when you make him fly a UAV but eh, those are all my opinions and I'm sure as hell no war planner.

Edit: Happy New Year's everyone!

Happy New Year to all

True that F-22 was developed to replace the F-15C in the air superiority role. It was only at the eleventh hour that USAF decided to stick a couple of JDAMs in the main weapons bay...and initiate the Small Diameter Bomb program (250# class GPS weapon) to give it more weapons. However, the F-22 and JSF can carry more on external weapons stations if threat environment allows it. F-22 has 4 external stations that allow it to carry 4 huge ferry tanks and 8 AIM-9X to deploy with weapons to theatre from CONUS.

As to F-15E, there is interest to replace both the F-15E and F-117 with a single "interdictor" and a stretch version of the F-22 has been proposed again and again (not the F/A-22, which was a name change x 2 for the "basic" F-22 now in service at Langley with the 1st TFW). What will be interesting is whether maturity of JUCAS will threaten another manned high end strike platform in USAF service.

@SteveG75
SteveG75 said:
The E/F is not in the same category as a JSF. The E/F is the Tomcat replacement (and arguably the Intruder replacement that the C/D never was) while the JSF is the replacement for the C/D. Totally different beasts.

E/F was proposed in the wake of several false starts (A-12, AFX, etc, that were either replacing A-6E or A-6 and F-14). JSF wasn't even anything more than a twinkle in Gen Muellner's eye and was called JAST. JAST leveraged funding programmed across the FYDP for AFX and the Navy used their A-12 dollars to get E/F going quickly and on a budget cap imposed by Congress. A/B and C/D Hornets were a replacement for the A-7E, not the A-6E. The "Legacy" Hornets had all but replaced the A-7 by 91 save for 2 remaining squadrons that got delayed by deploying to Desert Storm. Very true that JSF is replacement for the C/D. Note: as E/F was in development, there wasn't a good story for several years as to what it was really replacing. After Tomcats transformed themselves with integration of LANTRIN in 1996 (fielded) and then showed that two place aircraft do have a role (procurement was heavily weighted towards E models until then) and the FAC (A) mission had a place in the carrier airwing roles and missions (it too was more effective with two place aircraft). In short, real world combat ops actually changed the plans that had been based on studies and blackboard/powerpoint banter in the halls of the Pentagon. Only then did the plan mature to replace the Tomcat mission (mostly legacy A-6 all weather precision attack) with the F model. The Growler caper came afterwards, but that's another story.

So much for the annual budget olympics in the Pentagon and the strike platfrom carrier air wing mix....another perspective that emerged was that conventional platforms (vs high end low signature designs) can operate with relative impunity. In 1991, there was still a lingering and serious love affair with stealth permeating the Pentagon. "First day capability" and "kick the door down" were common phrases in use. USAF sold their souls for the F-22, the Army was "crushing" on the Comanche and the Navy had their clandestine love affair with the A-12. The advent of Soviet designed double digit SAMs had everyone spooked and low signature seemed to be the answer. Even if these programs hadn't suffered delays, technical issues and overruns (dooming the later two), the warfighters showed that with robust AEA and SEAD even aircraft with huge signatures like Tomcat could operate in serious EADS. Bosnia and Kosovo combat ops got some to rethink their love affair and then OEF and OIF showed that it might be nice to have a lot of weapons and persistance (B-52 with oodles of JDAMs) in order to be on call. If the future continues to have TACAIR supporting Special Ops units, then a F/A-18E/F with 11 weapons stations is more useful than a JSF with 2 (or a few more if external carriage is employed).

Methinks a mix of both would be the most flexible option if the EADeryone plays. When the EADS has some teeth and the low signature aircraft and UCAVs can be used until those teeth are pulled then everyone can play (even the P-3 AIP birds..which have in OEF and OIF..what does that say about need for low signature?). If there is no real threat, everyone plays form day one and the low signature birds like F-22 and JSF might as well load their external stores.

eye_malfunction

Mefesto said:
Just a joke... but how could the Navy ever think about aquiring the F-22? You can't hang shit all over the wings!!!

Curious, whats the last anyone heard about aquisition of the JSF and when it's gonna come online?

Someone posted an e-mail or responded to an e-mail in a post saying that 07 would be a scarce year for SNAs but 08 would look better since the Navy would need people to fly the new JSF, iirc and if that information was completely accurate so from that I'm assuming it would probably be in service as early as 2009 or 2010.

eye_malfunction

heyjoe said:
Happy New Year to all

As to F-15E, there is interest to replace both the F-15E and F-117 with a single "interdictor" and a stretch version of the F-22 has been proposed again and again (not the F/A-22, which was a name change x 2 for the "basic" F-22 now in service at Langley with the 1st TFW). What will be interesting is whether maturity of JUCAS will threaten another manned high end strike platform in USAF service.

Sometimes I can't believe how serious they actually are about UCAVs. I can see it now, in twenty years the airshows will be replaced by nothing but guys flying giant model airplanes. Good luck recruiting people with that!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eye_malfunction said:
Someone posted an e-mail or responded to an e-mail in a post saying that 07 would be a scarce year for SNAs but 08 would look better since the Navy would need people to fly the new JSF, iirc and if that information was completely accurate so from that I'm assuming it would probably be in service as early as 2009 or 2010.
This defies logic. Why would '07 be any different from any other previous year? Anyone who thinks JSF will see IOC in 2010 is smoking crack. 2015 is even optimistic. I'm fairly confident that nobody on this forum who is in college or HS will see JSF in their first tours.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I'm fairly confident that nobody on this forum who is in college or HS will see JSF in their first tours.
Good (yes, provided we make it ;)).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally Posted by eye_malfunction

This doesn't make sense as JSF is replacing aircraft already in service so impact on the pipeline feeding the FRS is neglible

USAF JSF replaces F-16
USMC JSF replaces F/A-18 and AV-8B
USN JSF replaces F/A-18C

eye_malfunction

Relax, relax. I don't know if it's true, I'm just saying what I read in a thread. They said the source was reliable. I'm hoping to get in before the JSF goes into service because I'd like to fly the F/A-18C.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eye_malfunction said:
Relax, relax. I don't know if it's true, I'm just saying what I read in a thread. They said the source was reliable. I'm hoping to get in before the JSF goes into service because I'd like to fly the F/A-18C.
Yeah, we're not blaming you, just identifying bad gouge.

Brett

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Quick question, I feel like whatever I have read on the net about the A-12 is biased bullsh!t...

Anyone care to tell me in short what the deal was with the Navy and the A-12?

Edit: I found that Cheney killed it -- anyone who was there at the time, what are your thoughts on killing it? Could it seriously have taken up nearly 70% of the Navy's budget? (Or is that more biased crap I read?) What were the biggest gripes about it besides it not being delivered fast enough?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
eye_malfunction said:

I'm sensing a future SWO or helo pilot :eek: