• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35 Upcoming Timeline

Saladmander

I really want to fly the F-35B in the Marines when it comes out. From what I see, most people expect it to become operational between 2009 and 2010. Based on the length of PLC (I'm in college now), TBS, and flight school, if I went through PLC would I stand a chance of flying it? Or would i be better off waiting a couple years after I graduate in 2008 to go through OCS?

An attached question is: In the Marines, can you switch aircraft form the one you trained for? i.e. F-18 or AV-8 ----> F-35?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saladmander said:
I really want to fly the F-35B in the Marines when it comes out. From what I see, most people expect it to become operational between 2009 and 2010. Based on the length of PLC (I'm in college now), TBS, and flight school, if I went through PLC would I stand a chance of flying it? Or would i be better off waiting a couple years after I graduate in 2008 to go through OCS?

An attached question is: In the Marines, can you switch aircraft form the one you trained for? i.e. F-18 or AV-8 ----> F-35?

Advice: you can't plan your aircraft like you plan out your major in college and I wouldn't wait betting on the "come" to go to OCS thinking you'll get your wings in time for a JSF slot....the odds are stacked against you big time and the competion will be unbelievable.

First JSF squadrons will likely be handpicked (may not even take "nuggets" initially) and right now, it's looking more like 2013 for IOC of first squadron. Both the AV-8B and F/A-18 will transition to the F-35B so likely first F-35B squadron will be legacy Harrier or Hornet pilots.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
You stand a chance, but like was mentioned above, there are many factors that contribute. Your best bet is to bust your ass at OCS, TBS, and flight school and hope for the best. The Marine Corps has many more rotary wing slots than fixed wing, and the need for any airframe isn's a predictable thing. If your mind is set on jets/JSF, you might want to look into the Air Force. They've got more jets, and I believe will be getting some JSFs as well (probably not the STOVL variant). Also, you can always plan on tacking on a few extra years to the proposed date of introduction to the fleet. Delays will happen, and timeframes will definitely change. Bottom line, work hard and keep an open mind. Flying anything for the Marine Corps/Navy is badass.

USFpilot06

pilot
Yea I heard it pretty tough to get your first choice let alone the new
JSF. You have to remember the order of preference, 1. Needs of the Navy 2. Your class scores, 3. Personal preference. In some cases nearly everyone got helos in a single class. Average spread for example say a class of 15 would be maybe 2 jets, 2 props/maritime rest go to the HTs (Helos). Personally I'm going in with an open mind, its an honor just to get accepted into the flight program. Best advice would be to always be at the top. Saying is the only guaranty is be at the top of your class, then you can most likely get your first choice. As far as the F-35, I heard that new platforms especially advanced fighter tend to take guys with flight hours from other communities, i.e. they pull a bunch of guys from harriers and hornet. This way they have guys with 1200 tactical hours and not a bunch of nuggets. Much less prone to mishaps. I'm sure they will down the road though, but only the best. What’s the latest word on the F-25, when do they plan to have the first squadrons up and ready??

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JSF status

USFpilot06 said:
Yea I heard it pretty tough to get your first choice let alone the new
JSF. You have to remember the order of preference, 1. Needs of the Navy 2. Your class scores, 3. Personal preference. In some cases nearly everyone got helos in a single class. Average spread for example say a class of 15 would be maybe 2 jets, 2 props/maritime rest go to the HTs (Helos). Personally I'm going in with an open mind, its an honor just to get accepted into the flight program. Best advice would be to always be at the top. Saying is the only guaranty is be at the top of your class, then you can most likely get your first choice. As far as the F-35, I heard that new platforms especially advanced fighter tend to take guys with flight hours from other communities, i.e. they pull a bunch of guys from harriers and hornet. This way they have guys with 1200 tactical hours and not a bunch of nuggets. Much less prone to mishaps. I'm sure they will down the road though, but only the best. What’s the latest word on the F-25, when do they plan to have the first squadrons up and ready??

IOC = Initial Operational Capability, which typically means the the first squadron(s) ready to deploy with everything good to go (weapons, training, logistics...all in place). The sliding date has been quoted as 2013 as I posted earlier. JSF will be flying before that (DT first, then OT in VX environment floowed by RAG) working up to its certification as ready to go to war.

If you follow F-22 and V-22, you'll notice that IOC dates always tend to slide because if issues that come up in the development process. JSF has been struggling with a weight issue in the STOVL F-35B variant that the Marines and possibly the USAF will employ (maybe the Marines are on to something).

The first "production" JSF is beig assembled right now and will fly later this year. See this link for latest updates: http://www.jsf.mil/news/ The RAG will stand up well in advance of the IOC and likely be handpicked folks...as with other new platforms. No way you can script being in first unit. Too many variables....just get into flight school and perform.

A SERGRAD slot was a traditional way to get more hours and your pick of assignments. Rolling into a VX shore tour with or without TPS would be another way to boost your chances.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the winged guys, just curious, but how does one get a tour in a VX squadron without being a test pilot?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
VX test programs are more along the lines of systems and boxes vice airframes, which is why the TPS thing isn't a player. You don't need to be a TPS grad to takeoff and play "on/off/stby" with the new GPS or whatever

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
VX test programs are more along the lines of systems and boxes vice airframes, which is why the TPS thing isn't a player. You don't need to be a TPS grad to takeoff and play "on/off/stby" with the new GPS or whatever

THe current VX squadron organization is comprised of Developmental and Operational Test Squarons and TPS is a big player...that is why it exists. TPS is a school. Once they graduate, the Test Pilots. NFOs and engineers are assigned to any one of the VX squadrons (VX-20, 21, 23, 30 or 31) at Pax River, China Lake or Pt Mugu or at HMX-1 at Quantico. The developmental squadrons are heavy on Test Pilots (no XO, the -2 is called the "Chief Test Pilot" and fleets up to CO). The Operational Test Squadrons are heavier on fleet aviators, but also include Test Pilots in almost a reverse mix. OT VX squadrons have fleet respresentative aircraft and the DT VX squadrons have aircraft with lots of telemetry or "orange wire" mods to them. New aircraft and weapons go through DT first to shake out bugs and issues (flight discrepancies) and assure SPEC compliaance. When OT gets the article, it is tested as a system in operational environment and judged whether it is "operationally effective and/or suitable". THey also develop the tactics and write the associated text for the tactics guides. There is a lot of Joint DT/OT going on to speed the RDT&E process but their missions are still diverse enough to warrant separate orgs (Note, the DT VX squadrons live under NAVAIR control in Test Wings (Atlantic and Pacific) reporting through the Naval Air Warfare Centers. The OT squadrons (VX-1, HMX-1 (test only, not presidential white top stuff) and VX-9 report to COMOPTEVFOR, an independent Echelon II command reporting to VCNO and direct to OSD on ACAT I programs.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I should have elaborated that my point was TPS isn't a requirement to get into a VX squadron.

Regardless, heyjoe knows a lot more about this than I do. My sources are second hand.

NRL (Naval Research Lab) is also working hand in hand with VX these days.

Side note: VX is a great opportunity to qual in other airframes.

Saladmander

I have a strong preference for the jsf, and I'm willing to put off joining a year or two to increase the chances of getting one. But it doesnt sound like that would help, and I would be honored to fly any aircraft in the marines, so I think I'm going to head off to PLC this summer

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saladmander said:
I have a strong preference for the jsf, and I'm willing to put off joining a year or two to increase the chances of getting one. But it doesnt sound like that would help, and I would be honored to fly any aircraft in the marines, so I think I'm going to head off to PLC this summer

Wise choice. Waiting would likely diminish your chances in my mind. Just be open to alternative paths to get there. Trying to be a guy right out of flight school going to JSF and tying your PLC entry to that plan.....rots of ruck. Get in a program as soon as you can and do the best you can so you might have some input over the needs of the service.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why does every thread eventually turn into the same question in the end?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
What this forum needs is a built in XML feed to the NMPC and CMC data warehouse where pilot and NFO distributions are broken out buy airframe. Steve can put on some PHP code to generate real time histograms of the data. Then never more will people have to go through the gut wrenching gyrations figuring out "What percent get F-35's" :) ohh double AW smiley :) :)

Can you imagine what a great PG school graduation thesis that would be?