• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've always wondered - what's the virtue of conformal fuel tanks over regular ol' drop tanks? Besides looking cool, that is.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I imagine that conformal tanks also preserve the stealth, although not completely because a lot of stealth is based on geometry.

Not to mention that the F-35 really isn't meant to carry external loads.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've always wondered - what's the virtue of conformal fuel tanks over regular ol' drop tanks? Besides looking cool, that is.

It's a trade. F-15E was the trendsetter and it adds a lot of gas, but you do suffer increased drag and weight penalty whereas drops can be jettisoned (at least in Air Force! ;)). Hacker might have something to say about it since he flies with them (when F-15 fleet is up...:D).

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I imagine that conformal tanks also preserve the stealth, although not completely because a lot of stealth is based on geometry.

Not to mention that the F-35 really isn't meant to carry external loads.

Both the F-35 and F-22 are plumbed to carry external loads. If a Tomcat can operate in Harm's Way in theatres like Bosnia/Kosovo, OEF and OIF where sometimes loiter and max ordnance loads are more important than stealth, I think you'll see them carrying external loads. They sell those platforms on their signature, but if that isn't needed day in and day out, the CAOC is going to go for different capabilities in the AOR and the COCOM RFF isn't going to scream for their signature in that case. Do you see any F-22s in theatre (or gray F-15s(even when they could fly)? You have to be relevant to needs of the COCOM....why do you think USAF made that move to redesignate the F-22 to the F/A-22 a few years ago? B-52s with Litening and lots of bombs made more sense than that (for the ongoing scenarios). Not to say there won't be a double digit SAM IADS to tackle down the road and all the investmant in the B-2, F-22 and JSF will be considered a wise move.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reminds me of the 8 plane low level over Jordan and Saudi Arabia that struck the nuclear reactor in Bagdad in '81. The Military Channel had a nice documentary about it. The Israelis trained for some time prior to the actual mission. They did not however train to or test the jettison of the drop tanks with the bombs loaded. Needless to say, they were safely jettisoned over Saudi, all 8 jets reached the target, and all 8 jets RTB'ed to Israel. Now I wonder if they still would need drops to hit Bushere? ;)

There is also a book on the subject: Bullseye One Reactor

cee19330dca04da246343010._AA240_.L.jpg

Note the route they took to get there (designed to stay unnoticed)

180px-OsirakLocation.gif

Wonder if they filled out a TFOA report for the tanks they jettisoned over Saudi Arabia? ;)

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of the 8 plane low level over Jordan and Saudi Arabia that struck the nuclear reactor in Bagdad in '81. The Military Channel had a nice documentary about it. The Israelis trained for some time prior to the actual mission. They did not however train to or test the jettison of the drop tanks with the bombs loaded. Needless to say, they were safely jettisoned over Saudi, all 8 jets reached the target, and all 8 jets RTB'ed to Israel. Now I wonder if they still would need drops to hit Bushere? ;)
Video's online now.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also good book on the Osirak raid: "Raid on the Sun". Can't vouch for accuracy or anything, but it's an interesting read. I think it's the book they based that Discovery Channel show on.

Among other things, the F-16s launched from a base in the Sinai and accidentally overflew the King of Jordan's yacht. The King then called up his Air Defense guys trying to find out whose F-16s they were (the IAF markings were covered up). Fortunately that call didn't make its way to the Iraqi air defense.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Among other things, the F-16s launched from a base in the Sinai and accidentally overflew the King of Jordan's yacht. The King then called up his Air Defense guys trying to find out whose F-16s they were (the IAF markings were covered up). Fortunately that call didn't make its way to the Iraqi air defense.

Love to hear that call....
King H - "This is the boss! I want the CO on the horn whose jets who are flathatting out in the Gulf and just disturbed my tranquility!"
AD - "Uh Boss, not ours! Might be Egyptian or Israelis, but suspect Israelis as we would have seen Egyptians launch"
King H - pause..."Well, then keep CNN on and let me know if anything gets reported in our locale"

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Both the F-35 and F-22 are plumbed to carry external loads. If a Tomcat can operate in Harm's Way in theatres like Bosnia/Kosovo, OEF and OIF where sometimes loiter and max ordnance loads are more important than stealth, I think you'll see them carrying external loads. They sell those platforms on their signature, but if that isn't needed day in and day out, the CAOC is going to go for different capabilities in the AOR and the COCOM RFF isn't going to scream for their signature in that case. Do you see any F-22s in theatre (or gray F-15s(even when they could fly)? You have to be relevant to needs of the COCOM....why do you think USAF made that move to redesignate the F-22 to the F/A-22 a few years ago? B-52s with Litening and lots of bombs made more sense than that (for the ongoing scenarios). Not to say there won't be a double digit SAM IADS to tackle down the road and all the investmant in the B-2, F-22 and JSF will be considered a wise move.

Noted. I considered doing some research before I posted because I knew the external loads were a capability. I didn't so I got burned. Now I remember the discussion of the stealth capability being a Day 1 asset or something like that to be used until there was air superiority. Thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably just as likely as the TFOA for the bombs they jettisoned over the Iraqi reactor ;)

That would have been nice piece of paper to send to the late, not-so-great supreme leader of Iraq!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Dear Arab shitheads: Seeing as we ingressed undetected over several of your erstwhile allies, through your much-vaunted "air defense," bombed the living shit out of one of your most valuable national assets with iron bombs and got away without a scratch...you can keep the drop tanks and whatever shrapnel you find as souveniers.
Love and kisses,
Hel HaAvir
PS: Tell the King of Jordan his wife was rockin' that French bikini on his yacht, and send her over to our house."

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
A serious example of professionalism and intestinal fortitude. One of them said it best with "you're more afraid of blowing the mission than getting killed."