• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 aileron explanation

nugget81

pilot
So the right wing raises its aileron, the plane would begin to role to the right because the left wing is at a higher AOA than the right wing and thus creating more lift. Is that correct?

Well let's talk about how a normal airplane banks with ailerons - the downward moving aileron increases the camber of the wing, thereby creating more lift than the opposite wing with the upward moving aileron (less camber and less lift). It doesn't matter if the aircraft is using flaperons or even spoilers as the same principle applies. Basically the wing creating more lift will rise, allowing the aircraft to bank.

Also, stabilators are not just for supersonic aircraft - Piper Warriors, Arrows, & Seminoles all have stabilators and none of them will go any faster than 200kts, even on a good day :D

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Also, stabilators are not just for supersonic aircraft - Piper Warriors, Arrows, & Seminoles all have stabilators and none of them will go any faster than 200kts, even on a good day :D

yes, but do they have differential stabilators, I think not ;)

but neither do we, but we got flaperons :p

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

60's have stabilators too, for a similar, but different, reason.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well

Ah, c'mon... I'm sure that right before it becomes a smoking hole in the ground, a Seminole COULD break 250 kts :eek:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ah, c'mon... I'm sure that right before it becomes a smoking hole in the ground, a Seminole COULD break 250 kts :eek:
'
And then the Seminole itself would, well . . . BREAK! :icon_tong

mo7stanley

"Also, stabilators are not just for supersonic aircraft - Piper Warriors, Arrows, & Seminoles all have stabilators and none of them will go any faster than 200kts, even on a good day"

Agreed. But, would a super sonic aircraft, going super sonic, be able to control pitch if it had an elevator and a horizontal stabilizor rather than a stabilator?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sonic aircraft, going super sonic, be able to control pitch if it had an elevator and a horizontal stabilizor rather than a stabilator?
Likely not. Those with real engineering degrees correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they encountered this problem when testing the X-1. When the shock wave forms on the stabilizer as you approach Mach 1, it creates an area of dead air behind it, making the elevator lose authority. The stabilator obviates this problem by not having a control surface to blank, but instead moving the whole airfoil.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Wasn't sure if the Baby Hornet had that logic built into it as well... you'll note that the plane in the picture is a Rhino (huge cobra hood LEX)...

But good clarification shoo... I knew as soon as I typed that, someone would ask about both ailerons down lol...