• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18 for crowd control?

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
Anyone heard of using the hornet for crowd control? I was talking to one of the personal trainers at my gym who did two tours with 1st MEF and he said they would use the hornet to do a low slow pass then nose up and use the jet blast to disperse the crowd. He said it was very effective. Anyone heard of this before?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nope, I think he is full of sh!t. I have seen 53s used to "blow" the crowd away wiht rotor wash but it makes them vulnerable if the conflict escallates.
Hornets were used to do low passes for intimidation but it wasnt slow and it wasnt to employ the jet blast it was to say next time they will be cleared hot kind of thing.

East

东部
Contributor
Wake-up call

Back in the '70 the RNLAF used F-104s for breaking up a train hi-jack which lasted for 2 weeks in the middle of the winter (no heating at all). A squadron of Starfighters from the RNLAF were used as a diversion while the RNLMC/Anti-terrorist units made their way into the train.

During the initial assault RNLMC and RNLA anti-terrosrist units (and sharpshooters) "compartimented" the train with the use of .50 guns by aiming at the several hallways, pinning down the terrorists in their sleeping quarters so they couldn't harm the hi-jacked pax with their uzi's.

Total of 18 F-104s as low as 20-30 ft (below tree level) on full a AB is quite wake-up call at 05:00lt. None of the terrorists survived and two pax out of 70 were wasted as they ran into the hallways were the .50 were doing their preventive bullet shower.

Our (then) left orientated parlement was not happy with all that military intervention and opted for other possabilities to end the 2 week hi-jack. Famous quote of the Marine Commander at that time was: "Let's change the anti-collision light lenses from red to blue, paint the F-104s white and stencil POLICE on the side...." He retired very soon after this quote, thinking ..... :icon_king

BigRed389

None
nkawtg said:
Back in the '70 the RNLAF used F-104s for breaking up a train hi-jack which lasted for 2 weeks in the middle of the winter (no heating at all). A squadron of Starfighters from the RNLAF were used as a diversion while the RNLMC/Anti-terrorist units made their way into the train.

During the initial assault RNLMC and RNLA anti-terrosrist units (and sharpshooters) "compartimented" the train with the use of .50 guns by aiming at the several hallways, pinning down the terrorists in their sleeping quarters so they couldn't harm the hi-jacked pax with their uzi's.

Total of 18 F-104s as low as 20-30 ft (below tree level) on full a AB is quite wake-up call at 05:00lt. None of the terrorists survived and two pax out of 70 were wasted as they ran into the hallways were the .50 were doing their preventive bullet shower.

Our (then) left orientated parlement was not happy with all that military intervention and opted for other possabilities to end the 2 week hi-jack. Famous quote of the Marine Commander at that time was: "Let's change the anti-collision light lenses from red to blue, paint the F-104s white and stencil POLICE on the side...." He retired very soon after this quote, thinking ..... :icon_king

...creative. :D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually we do use the F/A-18 and currently the F-14Ds for SOF missions.
SOF= Show of Force. A low fly by with some flares popped out at the right time canbe very helpful to a group of marines or army soldiers on the ground. The very clear threat is do what we ask or he will be back.

Has been used to get attention (Iraq) and to get locals to bring weapons in for turn in (Afghanistan).

r/
G

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah like I said above, but we dont try to employ the jet blast as a weapon

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Schnugg said:
SOF= Show of Force. A low fly by with some flares popped out at the right time canbe very helpful to a group of marines or army soldiers on the ground. The very clear threat is do what we ask or he will be back.

Has been used to get attention (Iraq) and to get locals to bring weapons in for turn in (Afghanistan).

r/
G

My first cruise, we got diverted to Somalia after the Task Force Ranger battle. Micheal Durant mentions hearing jet flyby's in his book.

The first flight was two F-14A's at 500' over Mogadishu in full blower. We then did several days of flight ops within sight of the beach.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Schnugg said:

r/
G

I saw some downloaded internet video like this. I think it was supposed to be from Afghanistan. Some guys were shooting at us from far away and the troops couldnt hit them for whatever reason and some jet did a high speed pass real low over the position. they didnt shoot back anymore. Not sure who took the video though.

B

Blutonski816

ghost119 said:
^ nice. Damn cowards.

It's not cowardice... it's being smart for once...

are you gonna open fire on something that can smoke your ass before you can hear it's engines roar by you??

B

Blutonski816

You're awfully pasionate about something you personally don't have to deal with....

besides... if you're enemy knows your position, are you gonna stick around for long??

mattr

ghost119 said:
^ you're right, but I hate it when they run away and hide. It pisses me off, shoot and run, shoot and run.

America did a little of it to Britain during the Revolutionary War. Although most was by conventional means...I'm sure some militias used hit and run tactics...It's all a matter of perspective.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
^ nice. Damn cowards.

Reply when you understand how not to become a target. Fire and movement. I'm not a Marine and I even know that.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
Fire, move, fire, move is a little different than shoot and run, isn't it?

Asymetric warfare. They aren't stupid. They KNOW they can't go toe-to-toe with us. Why would they fight like a conventional army if they know they would get slaughtered? Work smarter, not harder. It's why they blow a hole in one of our destroyers. They don't have any other way to hit it. I know frontal assaults are glorious in the movies, but when you're fighting a far superior force (us), it's a good way to die fast. We have armor, we have technology, we have training.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
we have Chuck Norris

anim_lol.gif