• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/a-18 vs F-16

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
that's very interesting

one of my IP's was telling me when they would fight Vipers, the trick was to keep him one-circle, never take his nose off, but once he did, the Viper would plug the burner and just watch him climb out of his envelope, soon to be followed by a Fox 2 from above by the Viper

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
That was pretty cool. I, for one, would love to have his job.

no kidding, TPS would be pretty damn tough, but what you get to do on the otherside would be amazing

I wonder if any Prowler guys have done an exchange tour into an AF F-16CJ unit, that would be wicked cool

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
no kidding, TPS would be pretty damn tough, but what you get to do on the otherside would be amazing

I wonder if any Prowler guys have done an exchange tour into an AF F-16CJ unit, that would be wicked cool
We had the reverse of that when the AF was still sending pilots. This chick was a complete disaster - could not fly the jet to save her life.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A very good read. Notice how he really never says one is better than the other very PC. But rather that each has it's goods and others.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have no axe to grind regarding either of these two very fine fighters --- but I have flown AGAINST them BOTH many, many times.

I flew against former F-86, F-100, F-101, F-102, F-104, F-105, F-106, and F-4 drivers -- most U.S., some foreign -- who were transitioning to the F-16. Some were also newly winged products from Air Force flight training.

I flew against former A-7, A-4, F-8, F-4, F-14, and Canadian and Aussie jocks who were transitioning to the F-18 as well as several newly winged Naval Aviators.

My verdict and experience: The F-16 was a tougher adversary when flown by experienced FIGHTER pilots. When flown by "new guys" --- the F-16 and F-18 were basically even.

You guys DO like to beat this "who/what is better" stuff to death, don't you. :) It never changes --- you can polish a pig all you want by giving the pig whatever platform you want --- but it's still about the Aviator, his SA, his discipline, and his training..... and luck .... :)

Lawman

None
Well guys with the way things are going with India, we may get some imperical data on which airplane really is better in a fight.

Lawman

None
How so?

Brett

Well Brett if you wander over to F-16.net they have a whole section of basically nothing but *****ing about the deficiencys of other aircraft and how great the F-16 is. Its gotten so bad they have a thread section called F-16 vs. XYZ, in which people tout up about how the "Viper Ownz XYZ" and why. Its kinda like if you go over to ACIG.org at all. And by far the worst threads over there basically become bug bashing sessions. I think the Anti-Rhino thread is up to 16 pages.

Just joking around that with the Pakistani's flying 16's, and the rumblings about India being in the Market for a new strike fighter and the Hornet possibly being offered we may at some point get a real demonstration.

I think I see where I left the confusion, I didnt mean to say we'd be fighting them or anything yeah gotta clear that up.

Lawman

None
And how many of them over there are actually Viper drivers?

They typically dont get into the fight. Most of the guys who are active or retired were usually in a support position or in some way involved in Air. Actually whats great to watch is a guy named ELP, former SAC guy more from the intel side of the house, tell Guppygoshawk, A Rhino Driver whos on this board somewhere, all about the deficiencys of the airframe. Or the Navy in general. Theres one guy that flew the YF-16 back when they were doing the LWF program as well as a couple dozen other aircraft that will go into some of the things he doesnt like about the Hornet family but thats about it.

Speaking of Elp, Phrog if your reading this, when he starts bagging on the Osprey Ill give you a ring. Its gonna happen sooner or later.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Figured.

You want to watch the best arguments on the internet? Watch people argue about which aircraft is better than another. They almost never have any experience in those aircraft, or even FLYING for that matter. It happens all the time on AR15.com with F-14 vs F/A-18. Most ridiciulous arguments ever.