• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fabulous and Funky 50's Fighters

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
+1 on the video.

-1 on the gratuitous alliteration.

Just curious, what was the purpose of this video when it was made?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
+1 on the video.

-1 on the gratuitous alliteration.

Just curious, what was the purpose of this video when it was made?

I would have guessed it was a Douglass video....however the Gutless was a Vought bird...so I dunno.

Raptor2216

I read somewhere that a famous line from pilots of that era said that the
F7Us Westinghouse engines couldn't even power a toaster.

That's what one of our sim instructors said. The thing could just barely get in the air and stay there, judging by what he said.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
That's what one of our sim instructors said. The thing could just barely get in the air and stay there, judging by what he said.

Understand it was in and out of burner on the ball and then with only enough gas for a pass or two :eek: Well earned nickname of the "Gutless Cutlass"

B

Blutonski816

Understand it was in and out of burner on the ball and then with only enough gas for a pass or two :eek: Well earned nickname of the "Gutless Cutlass"

I don't know if it was here or somewhere else where I heard that one guy would fly it with one motor on burner, and the other being used to add/subtract power, with a little bit of extra rudder action to get it back aboard.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Nittany, is that why Prowler drivers have to be the best pilots in the Navy? :eek:

I keed, I keed, Please don't slay me.
No slaying necessary. Imagine trying to autocross a minivan.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The TICO was actually my first FLEET CQ ... :D

During the late summer of 1955 after completing her initial 27C conversions, the TICO participated in the carrier suitability tests for 3 (then) new aircraft -- the A4D, The F4D, the the F3H ... all off the Virginia Capes which ties in w/ this video. It looks like the A4 was a PAX RIVER bird by her colors .... at this point in time, the TICONDEROGA does NOT have an "angled" deck in the landing area !!! :eek:

Note at @ 7:27 when the shuttle apparently is brought under the nose wheel -- vice taxiing over it, as we did. The moderator also refers to "taking the cut" when, in fact, jets fly and land power on .... :D

The TICO then hung around the Norfolk, New York, and Mayport areas until she deployed to the MED later in the year. After this MED cruise, she returned to Norfolk and received her final mods which included an angled deck and then beat feet for Alameda where she served out most of her remaining career.

She was on the line during the Gulf of Tonkin "incident" and supported the Turner Joy and Maddox w/ her birdfarm.

The TICO received
five battle stars during WW2, and three Navy Unit Commendations, one Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 12 battle stars during the Vietnam dustup. She was a hard-core ol' girl ....
cv-14b.jpg

USN photo

B

Blutonski816

Why do we always scrap ships with such proud combat histories? Tico, the Enterprise before last, Saratoga, the list goes on . . .

I'm gonna guess... $$$

I imagine upkeep of an old CV that serves little purpose beyond a floating museum is something that sucks up money... and not everyone can donate the cash to keep living history afloat.

At least there are still a handful of boats around that do get to stay around and impart their stories in ways that words alone cannot.