• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fabulous and Funky 50's Fighters

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I should have known better than to ask a rhetorical question on the Internet. :icon_tong

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do we always scrap ships with such proud combat histories? Tico, the Enterprise before last, Saratoga, the list goes on . . .

If you are thinking the first carrier named USS Saratoga, the WWII vet, you can visit her if you want. You just need a SCUBA certification and some dough to get you Bikini Atoll.

She is the one immediately to the left of the explosion:

bomb.jpg

Going down:

s259372.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are thinking the first carrier named USS Saratoga, the WWII vet, you can visit her if you want. You just need a SCUBA certification and some dough to get you Bikini Atoll.
Yes, I know. Perhaps "scrap" should have been replaced by "destroy." And I guess it is infinitely better that she went down that way than at the breaker's yard, but the point remains.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... Perhaps "scrap" should have been replaced by "destroy"....
Either/or ... when you "scrap" 'em w/ a NUKE, it's potat-o/potat-oh .... :) ... oh, and when you go to BIKINI to "visit", make sure you bring along your other half-life. :D

Money is money, the NAVY always eats its own, it seldom-if ever preserves its own "history", and I understand all that -- but the SARA (CV-3) or the "BIG E" were so special and so one-of-a-kind, that I'm sure they COULD have been preserved had there been the will ...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Dude the Boeing bird looked like a flying frog. The Lockheed version is a hell of a lot better looking...

no argument there, but just because the troll at the bar has a friend who only makes you vomit a little bit doesn't mean you gotta take her home.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Either/or ... when you "scrap" 'em w/ a NUKE, it's potat-o/potat-oh .... :) ... oh, and when you go to BIKINI to "visit", make sure you bring along your other half-life. :D

I think the governments' word is that it is 'safe' to dive the atoll...as long as you don't eat any fish.

safe enough that you probably won't grow a third eye, but no guarantees on your offsprings tail and/or extra digits. People with more money than cents (hardeeharhar) do dive there to look at the fish and sharks since they are fairly untouched by fishing.

anyone ballsy or dumb enough to do it and take a geiger counter, let me know how that went.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If the situation is that bad, theres no reason to subject yourself to any more indignity. Extinction is preferable to ugly women, bad beer, or ugly airplanes.

So... "I'll fly whatever they let me" translates to "sex is more important than dignity?" :)

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
So... "I'll fly whatever they let me" translates to "sex is more important than dignity?" :)

touche salesman

i'm sure the JSF will eventually grow on me...like some kind of staph infection.

even the mighty war pig is more aesthetically pleasing to me than that bloated turd. i can't get over my initial reaction to the static display at the smithsonian...

"they want people to fly that?! how can something so fugly possibly fly?!"

maybe seeing it in flight will make it look better to me, overcoming my disbelief that it can actually produce bernoullis. this is the same kid who thought the F-22 was ugly, then I saw a pair flying past us at destin and completely changed my opinion of that over priced sexy bitch.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The TICO received five battle stars during WW2, and three Navy Unit Commendations, one Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 12 battle stars during the Vietnam dustup. She was a hard-core ol' girl ....

Why the hell don't we do Battle Stars for das Boats anymore? Seems like it'd be a nice thing, morale-wise, and costs nothing...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...anyone ballsy or dumb enough to do it and take a geiger counter, let me know how that went.
While Johnston Island was perpetually one of our HNL BINGO fields, I don't think anyone ever took the airline down there --- as everyone was afraid of "glowing in the dark" after we landed ... :)

johnstonatolllr8.gif