• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAOs, Attaches, and Aviation

phrogpilot73

B]Apply for resdesignation. This will be your new designator. You will be in a new community with a new career path. "New-build FAOs" are sent to NPS for an MA in National Security Affairs, specializing in the region that they will be assigned to. If you do not already speak the language you need to the standards the Navy requires, you will go to DLI after NPS.[/B]
Just in case a Marine is reading this thread, and is curious - for us, FAO/RAO is an additional MOS. They retain their primary MOS, and they are expected to maintain proficiency in their primary MOS.

As a general rule, aviators should not apply for the IAOP before reaching their first flight gate

Also, if a Marine is interested - everything they want to know can be found in MCO 1520.11E.

macattack

General question (outside the flying C-12s aspect): What's the FAO career path like (since they now made it its own career field)? Do they see it as basically just rotating you between embassies and DC? Or do they serve on other staffs as well (other CONUS commands such as Atlantic Fleet etc)?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The career path is still being designed. Generally, they are trying to get "new build" FAOs a tour overseas after NPS and DLI. TRYING.

Yes, they are going to Fleet Staffs as well.

I already have an overseas tour, I'm going to a CONUS joint command.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
On the Marine side: How badly does this wreck your career progression? The MCO posted said that you could be away from your PMOS for 6 years, how could you expect to come back any get any sort of "good" billet when you don't have any MOS credibility?

I have been interested in this assignment since being on MSG, but it seems like a helluva juggling act for an aviator to pull off and still be successful in both MOS's.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Bump.

Looking at doing an Attaché gig for my next set of orders. I've talked to the detailer, but looking for someone who has been there done that. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bump.

Looking at doing an Attaché gig for my next set of orders. I've talked to the detailer, but looking for someone who has been there done that. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

I did half of the job for a non-resident attaché and might be able to answer some of your questions.