• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female Naval Pilot

A.war.IN.me

Space Geek x pi
My older sister just finished college and was thinking about joining the Navy as a Pilot. But she was kind of discouraged because of a post she saw. The post stated "females have no chance, and no place in aviation."

My question is, if a female is fully qualified or as qualified as the next male. What are her chances of actually becoming a Pilot?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As good as any other person applying. I think whoever wrote that post is a little out of touch.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like whoever said that hasn't been in Naval Aviation since the 60s. Tons of female pilots nowadays. She has just as much chance as anyone at being picked up.

MasterBates

Probably better than average for unofficial official quota filling purposes.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk

exNavyOffRec

She needs to talk to an Officer Recruiter, it all really depends on her GPA and how she does on the aviation test.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, tell that to all the chicks I went though pilot training with, all the way up to the FRS. Utter BS. Your career in Naval Aviation is based on one thing. Are you competent, or not? Not whether or not you have a Y chromosome. I've seen men and women get their walking papers, but it was for the same reason. Unsat performance.

jtmedli

pilot
Yeah, tell that to all the chicks I went though pilot training with, all the way up to the FRS. Utter BS. Your career in Naval Aviation is based on one thing. Are you competent, or not? Not whether or not you have a Y chromosome. I've seen men and women get their walking papers, but it was for the same reason. Unsat performance.

I think they're referring to 'selection' vice 'success'. I can also vouch for male and female alike getting the walking papers. The TRACOM (and Navy in general) doesn't care what sex you are when it comes to NOT crashing airplanes.

MasterBates

I have also seen women get away with shit that would be career ending for a guy. More second chances, vice relaxation of standards.

The performance standard is the same, but the entrance gate seems to be a little more open if the ASTB scores are there.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
My older sister just finished college and was thinking about joining the Navy as a Pilot. But she was kind of discouraged because of a post she saw. The post stated "females have no chance, and no place in aviation."

My question is, if a female is fully qualified or as qualified as the next male. What are her chances of actually becoming a Pilot?

Is that all it takes to discourage someone these days? Wow. I guess this guy may be right . . . http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/322261cd73/why-internet-commenters-will-eventually-end-the-world

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think they're referring to 'selection' vice 'success'. I can also vouch for male and female alike getting the walking papers. The TRACOM (and Navy in general) doesn't care what sex you are when it comes to NOT crashing airplanes.
I got that the OP was referring to selection, but the knucklehead they quoted seemed to be referring to their ability to get through the pipeline. Hence my response.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have also seen women get away with shit that would be career ending for a guy. More second chances, vice relaxation of standards.

The performance standard is the same, but the entrance gate seems to be a little more open if the ASTB scores are there.

I've seen plenty of people of either gender get more second chances than they deserve. While the Navy definitely experienced some growing pains in the 90s integrating women into aviation, I would say that it's a pretty level playing field these days.