• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighter Bonus?

Fetter

I read on good ol' Ed Rush's website that fighter pilots get a bonus added to their check in the USMC. Is that limited to fighters? I'm curious about the details, thanks.

phrogpilot73

I read on good ol' Ed Rush's website that fighter pilots get a bonus added to their check in the USMC. Is that limited to fighters? I'm curious about the details, thanks.
All pilots get ACIP, or flight pay. That's essentially a "bonus" over your ground-pounding peers.

There is also a hefty bonus that is paid yearly once you get to your EOS that you can take out to 16 years of commissioned service. It's adjusted by T/M/S (used to be by jet/helo), and right now the Osprey guys get $20K/year. It changes every FY though, last FY the way the numbers worked (based on when jet guys were eligible, and when helo guys were), helo guys got $18K/year and jet guys get $12K if I remember correctly. Prior to that, jet guys got more than helo guys.

So, it all depends on timing...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think that it's 18K for pilots and 12K for FOs. I'd have to look it up, but I'm too busy spending my 25K bonus.

phrogpilot73

I think that it's 18K for pilots and 12K for FOs. I'd have to look it up, but I'm too busy spending my 25K bonus.
Not FY08's... FO's get a whopping $5K/year if they sign up for the long haul.

FWIW:
(1) FIXED WING PILOTS:
(A) 7509 (AV-8B) $20,000 PER ANNUM
(B) 7523 (F/A-18) $15,000 PER ANNUM
(C) 7543 (EA-6B) $12,000 PER ANNUM
(D) 7556/7 (KC-130) $20,000 PER ANNUM
(2) ROTARY WING/TILT ROTOR PILOTS:
(A) 7532 (MV-22) $20,000 PER ANNUM
(B) 7562 (CH-46) $12,000 PER ANNUM
(C) 7563 (UH-1) $20,000 PER ANNUM
(D) 7564/6 (CH-53) $15,000 PER ANNUM
(E) 7565 (AH-1) $20,000 PER ANNUM
(3) NAVAL FLIGHT OFFICERS: $ 5,000 PER ANNUM

Straight from the MARADMIN.

For FY07, because of the way they worded it - you had to be within 1 year of your EOS to be eligible to sign up. They had it broken down by long contract for Majs/Maj(sel), and short/long contract for Capt. Because of how long the training pipeline is for jets, most guys I knew weren't w/in 1 year of their EOS until they were a Maj or Maj(sel). Us helo guys were as Capts. So, based on that, helo guys could sign up for $18K/year and f/w guys could sign up for $15K/year. My buddy in the battalion was pissed that we were eligible for a bigger bonus then him (he still wasn't eligible for it, because he wasn't within 1 year of his EOS).

For the OP, the thing to notice is that it changes year-to-year. You're also locked into what you signed up for. So, if you're a jet guy that signed up for $15K and next year they up it to $20K, then you're going to get $15K. If you're a helo guy that signed up for $18K and they drop it to $12K (in the case of Phrogs) then you're going to get $18K. The only caveat is that if you transition platforms in the future (Phrogs to Ospreys) you can request to change your ACP to the new platform, but the pay would still be based on the FY that you opted for.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
Are you talking about Aviation Continuation Pay? And is this annually, or is it just something that you get with an agreement to serve for x more years?

phrogpilot73

Are you talking about Aviation Continuation Pay? And is this annually, or is it just something that you get with an agreement to serve for x more years?
Yup, ACP or Aviation Continuation Pay is what we're talking about. It's annually, provided that you agree to serve X number of years. So, if you agree to the long contract (out to 16 Years Commissioned Service), then you will get (in the case of Ospreys, Harriers, Hercs, Cobras and Hueys) $20K/year for 8 years (assuming you're eligible year 8 of your commitment). If you pick it up later (let's say 10 years commissioned) then you would only get $X/year for 6 years.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am guessing that the fact that Cobra guys et al are getting mroe than Hornet guys didnt make the be a fighter pilot web site.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
For the OP, the thing to notice is that it changes year-to-year. You're also locked into what you signed up for. So, if you're a jet guy that signed up for $15K and next year they up it to $20K, then you're going to get $15K. If you're a helo guy that signed up for $18K and they drop it to $12K (in the case of Phrogs) then you're going to get $18K. The only caveat is that if you transition platforms in the future (Phrogs to Ospreys) you can request to change your ACP to the new platform, but the pay would still be based on the FY that you opted for.

The italicized part is key. Here I sit with my $7K, instead of $20K, DAMMIT!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Could you tell Uncle Sam to kick that my way? There are captains making more than me now.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I think that every other time that they "upped" the bonus that folks were allowed to upgrade. One of my phrog buddies told me that. His year (probably the same as yours) was "the first" to not be allowed to upgrade. This, of course, did not disuade me from constantly rubbing it in about it.

"Hey dude, I'm not sure I have enough for lunch at Taco Bell today. Can I borrow your bonus?"

"Hey, I think I found you bonus last night when I was cleaning out the lint trap on my dryer"

It never gets old, does it?