• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finally made my decision - going to VMI

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
After struggling with my decision for weeks, I made my decision today. I'm going to the Virginia Military Institute on my NROTC scholarship.

I have to admit, that when I started applying to colleges, I was thinking that if I got accepted to VMI, I would go. But I also applied to all the other senior military colleges and Embry-Riddle. And when I got accepted to all of them, they all started looking great to me. The choice no longer seemed so obvious when I started thinking about it with my head. The only one I could drop was NGCSU, and that is because they didn't offer NROTC, only AROTC (NGCSU was sort of my safety school). I had some great choices- besides VMI, I had the Citadel, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Norwich, and Embry-Riddle. Each college had a ton of positives to them. For some wierd reason, one of them even thought enough of me to offer me a full-ride (Citadel) from the very beginning. And after I got my NROTC scholarship, 3 more of them offered me enough to cover room & board and fees not covered by the NROTC scholarship. So I really felt blessed in all my choices. The financial offers from all the schools and my NROTC scholarship really made it possible for me to not think about the costs at all. Even at Embry-Riddle where the costs for a degree in flight might run $49K/yr, I would only have had to come up with about $1000 myself. But this only made the process harder for me. Because each school just had its own set of different positives (and always a few negatives). I just could not decide on a clear winner. I keep promising my parents I would decide in the next few days, and I just couldn't. They all seemed so great for their own reasons, I almost wish I could go to all of them. LOL. :p I had almost all of the schools calling me nightly, including tonight- and it got so that i almost felt like a professional athlete or something with all these schools courting me. But in the end, I had to just listen to my heart on this since my head was struggling too much comparing pros and cons of these schools- and to my heart, VMI just seems right to me somehow.

I know it will be tough. But I am really looking forward to being a cadet and middie at VMI. Go Keydets! :D

During this process, many of you were very generous to me with your advice for me, and i appreciate it so much. i had current cadets or graduates from every one of these six schools post their thoughts or send me PMs with info. I was really touched by all of the messages and your generosity with your time for a high school student- this is really what makes this forum such a special place. THANK YOU ALL!!! :icon_love

And I hope to see you in the fleet in 2012 :D

(and AllAmerican, you'll have me to straighten out for 2 years! ;))

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
D-

Good luck with everything! I've said it before, you'll do well wherever you go. Don't ever lose sight of your dream. Rat year is going to be a challenge, but you will make it. I hope you stay in touch!

BTW, when you get there, tell those VMI boys to build a bigger cannon :icon_smil
(VTCC/Keydet history right there!)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
BTW, when you get there, tell those VMI boys to build a bigger cannon :icon_smil
(VTCC/Keydet history right there!)

You do know we have a handful of 105mm Howitzer's at our disposal don't you? Trust me, Little John is the least of your worries.

<== Proud member of the Cadet Battery

@DSL: Depending on what company you get put into, you're going to have a lot of "fun" in that first week. :icon_smil

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Does this mean there won't be a nearly weekly thread of "Where I should go to college" thread?

well, not by me at least- that would now be the job of someone who is currently a high school junior to start doing a few months from now. i'm passing the baton! ;) :icon_lol:

(although i'm not saying i'm going to be abandoning this NROTC subforum just yet! ;))

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
You do know we have a handful of 105mm Howitzer's at our disposal don't you? Trust me, Little John is the least of your worries.

<== Proud member of the Cadet Battery

@DSL: Depending on what company you get put into, you're going to have a lot of "fun" in that first week. :icon_smil

...Yep, still there. :icon_smil Glad to see the fire never dies.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
...Yep, still there. :icon_smil Glad to see the fire never dies.

Honestly, no matter how badly we may lose, I would love to see the Thanksgiving Turkey Bowl games down in Roanoke return. The hijinks associated with the game and the atmosphere surrounding the game would be cool.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
LOL! my NJROTC CO (who is a retired LCDR) and the NJROTC Master Chief lectured me for 40mins today in her office about how if I go to VMI, "they" will "convince me" (in a sneaky way i guess they are thinking) to go Army! That is just too wierd to be believed. especially considering it's the navy that will be paying for my education! both of them thought that I should be going to the Merchant Marine Academy instead. eh? say again? never mind that i never applied and that the application process for USMMA is as difficult as for the USNA! anyways, in NJROTC in my highschool, you're pretty much not allowed to say "no" to the CO or the Master Chief, so I was saying a lot of "yes, ma'am" and "yes, sir" in her office while trying to make it sound like a "no way!" :icon_lol:

p.s. I was the only one in my NJROTC unit that earned an NJROTC "gold lamp" today for blowing the roof off the Navy PFT test for female 17-19 yesterday. maxed! incl 110 situps in 2mins :D now if i could only do a single pullup :eek::icon_cryi:eek::icon_cryi:eek::icon_cryi i'd be good and as ready as I can get for college!