• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finding the Slate You Want

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Most definitely still need to communicate with StuCon as well. But I wouldn't expect them to know the answers to my questions or even trust that they'll get the answers. I realize that the aviation community is used to having a middleman in the deal, but SWO's just don't do that.

Only for the accession portion. Afterwards it's normal ops. But in the end, I think we're saying the same thing here.

Interestingly, I would see the two XOs of the ship I was on work orders for second sea tour divos. Seemed like there was a line not to cross there, either. However, for two of the three I can remember, they were complete soup sandwiches, so that might have been the reason. The third may have just been because the XO was a good XO.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I am pretty sure there is a SWO forum. I am just too lazy to find it for you.;)
AFAIK, there is no SWO forum open to people who aren't officers yet. Like it or not, this place has a ton of useful information for anyone seeking a commission, not just people interested in flying.

Goob83

None
I have a question for any detailers out there or, for that matter, anyone who has experience in redesignation. I recently decided that flying wasn't for me and now I'm going SWO. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a list of currently available 1st tour DIVO slates. Looking forward to your feedback.
May I ask why you want SWO exactly or should I ask why you don't want to fly? If it is because the school is hard and long hours are demanded. being a SWO is not for you either. as someone said below it is about end game Pilots and NFO's have a great after life when schoool is over hell they get mandated CREW REST. REST for a JO SWO is a four letter word, you will get immediate leadership and time management skills. Again as it was stated some other place many a folk fight for the chance you have. I understand there are physical and mental reasons for not wanting to fly too. so I hope this is your reason and not the Grueling hours or rigorous training you are going thru now. If it is swo you want call the detailer now and also look at NPC website for JO slates. best bet is to call and be prepared to be hazy gray and underway. Have fun and good luck

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only for the accession portion. Afterwards it's normal ops. But in the end, I think we're saying the same thing here.

Interestingly, I would see the two XOs of the ship I was on work orders for second sea tour divos. Seemed like there was a line not to cross there, either. However, for two of the three I can remember, they were complete soup sandwiches, so that might have been the reason. The third may have just been because the XO was a good XO.
I'm not saying the CO/XO don't get involved. They do, usually on your behalf at your request. But they don't require you to go through them first (typically) or tell them when you call or email the detailer.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm not saying the CO/XO don't get involved. They do, usually on your behalf at your request. But they don't require you to go through them first (typically) or tell them when you call or email the detailer.

Which is exactly what happens w/ aviators in the fleet, as well. Again, I think we're all in agreement. The two individuals I mentioned were "having difficulty," but in general, not just specifically about orders.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which is exactly what happens w/ aviators in the fleet, as well. Again, I think we're all in agreement. The two individuals I mentioned were "having difficulty," but in general, not just specifically about orders.
My understanding from the various discussions here over the years is that it is taboo for you guys to take the initiative and contact your detailer as you deem necessary. Maybe I'm wrong but that is the impression I've got.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My understanding from the various discussions here over the years is that it is taboo for you guys to take the initiative and contact your detailer as you deem necessary. Maybe I'm wrong but that is the impression I've got.

I know we're drifting off topic here, but...

It's not that you can't contact them, it's just a matter of keeping the front office in the loop. After doing the prerequisite "here's my thinking" email while deployed (and getting almost no response), I started dealing w/ the detailer directly. I didn't really bring the XO in until I got back.

Depending on the front office (or if you're a "player"), the level of front office involvement can vary. I've heard/seen the two extremes from/with others.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My google skills must be lacking. Regardless, this forum section is titled "questions about becoming a navy officer," not "questions about becoming a navy pilot."
Thanks. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Surface Warfare Officer. They run the surface ships.
...and the rest of the Navy

signal_e_a000690475.JPG