• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Gear

B

Blutonski816

AllAmerican75 said:
What do the CMU-33's look like? Are they similar to the Air Force issue survival vests?

CMU-33 AIRSAVE

My understaning is that the Jet guys wear a slightly different one with slots for the Koch fittings on the Harness to fit through...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
WHy doesn't the DoD then just have uniformity across the board and make the Navy, AF, Army, and CG all wear the same survival gear and dry suit? It seems like that would keep costs down and provide top notch gear to all the services.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Does the Marine Corps/Navy use the CSU-17P that goes with the Combat Edge system? Found these pictures.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
AllAmerican75 said:
WHy doesn't the DoD then just have uniformity across the board and make the Navy, AF, Army, and CG all wear the same survival gear and dry suit? It seems like that would keep costs down and provide top notch gear to all the services.

Because they don't all have the same requirements they need the gear to meet...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
jamnww said:
Because they don't all have the same requirements they need the gear to meet...
Look, maybe I'm just stupid, but I'd have thought they could all figure out something that works...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:

Jammn has a good answer. And look at it this way... They did this exact thing for the next gen fighter and Joint Trainer. And look what we have, a single engine fighter going into combat and a non-beta equipped small-wheeled aircraft.

@Chuck:

While I understand your argument (and I think we've had this discussion before), I disagree w/ the details. The SV-2 may be ghetto compared to the AIRSAFE, but in practicality, it's better gear. Try getting near another survivor w/ the -33 and your lobes inflated. It's harder. Try inflating your lobes w/ a broken arm. It's a lot harder to reach the handles. And trying to get to any of the gear on the vest is not as easy, especially the kits that are in the inside pockets. You have to unzip from the bottom and then route around down there, all w/ the lobes blocking your view. It's nice and comfy when you get hoisted, and it's nice to have a load bearing vest when in the cockpit, but there are issues. Then again, maybe that only proves your point.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
eddie said:
Look, maybe I'm just stupid, but I'd have thought they could all figure out something that works...

They could have worked something out but when you try to get something to meet everyones needs it ends up not doing well with anyones.

Something to demonstrate;
For the Navy you are going to need something thats capable and has easy accessibility while in the water (flotation lobes inflated). Now is that requirement going to be vital for Army helo pilots? No, probably not. For that matter jet drivers will have different requirements than helo pilots. Since the Army has mainly helo pilots and the Air Force is jet heavy then it makes sense that they have different gear.

They tried this who standardization in the years after Vietnam and look what they came up with. Utilities that didn't meet the needs of the Army or Marine Corps and more than met the needs of the Air Force, and something that the Navy couldn't use at all other than for security. They also got boots that had the same result. Each service has different missions and different needs, what is wrong with letting each focus and excel on their mission, why does everyone have to be the same?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
CMU-33 AIRSAVE

My understaning is that the Jet guys wear a slightly different one with slots for the Koch fittings on the Harness to fit through...
Yeah, and the slots are always positioned wrong and getting all caught up. They seem like an afterthought to an otherwise good vest.

Brett

phrogpilot73

ChuckMK23 said:
Dry Suits - for a sea service I cannot understand why the the AF and Coast Guard has a better more effective dry suit than Naval Aviation. But they do. It's worn and intended to be your only outer garment (not designed to have a flight suit over it) - The current system is just stupid. You guys deserve the best. Talk to an AF or USCG aircrew and they will not hesitate to wear their body condom - but our guys split hairs over water/airtemp combo instead of true operational considerations because it no sh!t reduces their effectiveness inthe aircraft.
I agree wholeheartedly! When we had to wear our dry suits, it was nothing but b!tch, moan, and grumble... When our Brit exchange officer put his on, we were all envious... It's the same thing with the body armor in theatre. Originally, we were wearing the Interceptor vest (the Kevlar/SAPI plate combo that our ground bretheren are very familiar with) with our survival gear strapped to it. Then someone at Navair got a whiff of it, and sure enough, we went back to wearing the Airsave... Apparently they think that the heavier, more uncomfortable, movement limiting system that they've approved is better at stopping a bullet. Plus, it's not fire retardent. Our response - "umm, the Phrog that got shot down, they were wearing Interceptors, and only the guy that wasn't wearing flight gloves got really burnt." Fell on deaf ears.