• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight helmet question, inform the un-informed

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
So what is with the patch of velcro that must be on a USN flight helmet? I have never been able to find out the purpose of it.

Josh

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
the small square one on the back of it??? Dunno if it must be on the helmet, but we used it to attach the ICS cord plug to the for easier transport (no cord trailing behind you and getting tangled on ****) in primary.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
JoshDavid said:
So what is with the patch of velcro that must be on a USN flight helmet? I have never been able to find out the purpose of it.

Josh
It's so you can put your little survival strobe light on there if you're floating around in the water at night.

Brett

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
ahh, makes sense about the strobe. Thanks, that one's been bothering me for a while :)

NavyLonghorn

Helmet? What are those? We have velcro on the top of our luxurious headsets inorder to hold the battery pack for our lip lights. You think if we ditched we could flash the little LED's over and over to create a sort of strobe effect? I dunno.. prolly not.. but atleast ill have a few sandwhiches and some gatorade left over for when we chill in the back seat.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You may also see a bigger patch of velcro at the base of the helmet, right above the neck strap which is for the NVG battery pack. I had that for a while until we switched over to the clips (which are better, IMO). Some guys still use the velcro. PLUS, there's also another patch opposite of the strobe patch that you can see sometimes, which is where the lip light battery pack goes, for those that wear them. Basically at night, your head is just one big battery.

Bevo16

pilot
Helo guys put the battery pack for their lip lights (set of 3 small NVG compatable lights under your ICS mike) on that velcro.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
My helmet has 4 attach points - 2 velcro (1 on top for ICS cord/survival strobe, 1 on the back for lip light batter pack), then the aforementioned NVG stuff.

B

Blutonski816

What's cool to see is how some of the Fighters guys get the velcro on their helmets cut out in that little "VF" shape...