• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight helmet question, inform the un-informed

Pugs

Back from the range
None
A4sForever said:
... And just hope the SAR don't mistake the strobe for muzzle flashes .... :eek:

And that, my friend, is why you remember to use the IR cover :) Assuming of course you can find it in the damn vest.

B

Blutonski816

yeah... what's really cool, though is how that Tape is reflective in any color...
Allowing for cool helmets like the VX-9 guys at Pt. Mugu had...

vx9hefshop.jpg.w560h399.jpg

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Bluto, those are some awesome helmets. Quick question, how does an enterprising naval aviator, who wishes to have a little flair on his helmet, get himself a righteous paintjob like the one above? What are the regulations on it?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
Bluto, those are some awesome helmets. Quick question, how does an enterprising naval aviator, who wishes to have a little flair on his helmet, get himself a righteous paintjob like the one above? What are the regulations on it?

Treat your PRs right, and they'll take care of you. As was said, the tape has to be reflective.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
In my experience, most squadron helmet designs are a standardized squadron theme, so it's not like you have to request it from the PRs. I've seen some guys put extra stuff on it like a college logo, but that's not the norm.

Brett

Ex Rigger

pilot
AllAmerican75 said:
No paintjob, just good PRs. Most are standard but every now and then someone alters theirs a bit. Usually not JO's in my experience. I know someone's gonna hammer me. I was pretty good at taping up helmets. I once did one for a SEAL bubba who wanted his jump helmet to have a spider web similar to the one people get tatooed on their elbow. Him and his buddies hooked me up pretty good. Can't post it on here.....

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There's always that fine balance between a little flair, and being "that guy." The Navy digs flair more than the Marine Corps. As a rule, maybe a callsign or a single symbol, and that's it on the USMC side. Never have done it myself, but I kinda dig the customized visor covers.

Ex Rigger

pilot
AllAmerican75 said:
So do squadrons usually put stuff like their unit insignia on their helmets?
Kinda. For instance, VF-211 my old squadron, were the Checkmates. The helmets had a red and white checkerboard, three one inch blocks wide, from the front to the back of the helmet.