• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying GA while in the military

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
You can fly civil while in pilot training if you meet the following criteria.

1)You fill out the CNATRA instuction ORM questionaire and paperwork, do the RAC sheet and meet the criteria in the instruction to be allowed to fly on your own time which is on the list of high-risk activities. If you do not meet the criteria or the squadron/wing you are with has more stringent guidelines, you may be told you are not allowed. Flying when not cleared by the instruction is a serious no-no and a violation of a direct order. The way the instruction is written, you have to do the process every time you want to go out and do the high risk activity. This is a new instruction that came out about 6 months or so ago.

2)IF you are an AF student/officer, or you are a Navy student training at an AF base, the AF rules apply. Under AF rules you are NOT allowed to fly in civil aircraft while in UPT (undergraduate pilot training). For Navy students trianing at AF bases, the AF standard usually applies, but you would have to bring that issue up with the chain of command if you wanted to try and get permission in that situation.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
...It's not hard, you pay some old guy a bunch of money, and then you go take an incredibly easy test and they give you your ticket in 4-6 weeks. May not be an issue you for you, per se, but just putting it out there.

In Corpus it was same day service. The crusty old guy who administered the Military Equivilency test was also an FAA examiner so he issued your certificate right there. He also is the one who writes the gouge. I would ask around for the Bazemore gouge. At least he was the guy back in '00

As soon as I was Natops quall'ed in the S-3 it was a quick trip to the FSDO for the multi add-on at no extra charge!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jboomer said:
I took it while I was there too. No class, just the gouge packet. Know everything in the gouge because it's VERY similar to the test (wink, wink). MEI has pretty decent rates too. $55 or so an hour in a 152, check out took .6 or so. It was fun flying up to Philly, but that's about it to see in the immediate area.

Did you get your multi-engine (centerline thrust restriction) after you NATOPS qual'd in the Hornet?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Did you get your multi-engine (centerline thrust restriction) after you NATOPS qual'd in the Hornet?

He's a Harrier dude, smart guy.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I did fly T-2s, but they wouldn't give me the multi because it had been 13 months (12 is the cutoff). I know of several that got the add-on with more time out of the jet than I did, so it just depends on who does your paperwork when you get to the FSDO. I'm not too concerned about it though. I can barely afford a -172, there's no way I could afford to rent a multi. If I want to fly anything bigger in the future, I'll get the high-perf. check out in an RG something or other or -182. Don't see that as being likely though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Speaking of FSDO, does anyone know where the FSDO is for the PNS area? I looked up the FSDO in the Tampa Bay area this summer (there used to be an office at PIE), but it seems everything moved to Orlando or Miami. So is PNS's office anywhere nearby?

Yes, yes, I know I can go to the FAA. Stupid interweb.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Speaking of FSDO, does anyone know where the FSDO is for the PNS area? I looked up the FSDO in the Tampa Bay area this summer (there used to be an office at PIE), but it seems everything moved to Orlando or Miami. So is PNS's office anywhere nearby?

Yes, yes, I know I can go to the FAA. Stupid interweb.

Ah crap, I used to know this. I have no idea why I want to say Anniston... probably cause it's an FSS. I suggest a FAA search ;)

joeflys

There is also a listing of all FSDO's in the front of any FAR/AIM book, mine is at my desk at the airport, so I am of no help to you.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Fly Navy said:

I got it but not sure if I'd ever use it. I did the same thing as everyone else in Corpus after winging in Kingsville. The test was such a none issue, I can't remember being there more than about 15 minutes.