• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foreign military based in the U.S

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
Hey everyone. I once read about a "Luftwaffe"(german air force) unit based at NAS Pensacola,but can't find a whole of info on them now. Does anyone know what they do? If they are still here. ALso, are there any other foreign military units based(not temporary here for joint training)in the U.S? thanx.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
The German unit you are talking about is here specifically for training and therefore would not fit the guidelines you established for being based in the US. They set them up in a seperate unit for admin, processing and ease of training.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Holloman Air Force base has a permanent german detachment there. I'm not certain how many are there though.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I often wondered about this too. Why is it the U.S. has military bases all over the world, yet those same countries dont have bases in the U.S.? Does it have something to do with us winning WWI and II, Korea, etc. and fulfilling the "We helped liberate your country so now you owe us" attitude?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
I often wondered about this too. Why is it the U.S. has military bases all over the world, yet those same countries dont have bases in the U.S.? Does it have something to do with us winning WWI and II, Korea, etc. and fulfilling the "We helped liberate your country so now you owe us" attitude?
We are strategically located in foreign countries to help promote shared principals/interest and to provide for their defense. The is no strategic reason for them to have bases here. (Canada and Mexico are not a threat to us.) It has nothing to do with "you owe us". If they were to tell us to leave, we'd leave. It's happened before and it will happen again.

But there are many foreign officer serving in joint capacities on U.S. soil. Besides exchange officers and training commands, I can think of NORAD off the top of my head. There is at least the Canadian military in the NORAD organization and chain of command.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Germany also has a small base at Dulles International Airport here in DC (to support training units here in the US). They used to have F-4's and Tornado's at Holloman AFB, NM for training (I think they pulled the F-4's out, not sure about the Tornado's).

Singapore has several units in the US. An F-16 squadron, CH-47's and KC-135's. Singaporean CH-47's were among the forst, if not the first, foreign personnel to take part in Katrina relief efforts. They are apprently based in Texas.

Canada has a squadron, personnel only, at Tinker AFB flying US E-3 AWACS.

Singapore and Germany train here because of domestic airspace restrictions and Canada has a unit here because of their close association with NORAD.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
German Tornados are still there, they came out and bombed for some FAC(A) X's we did when we did a det to El PAso. They did pretty well too.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Flash said:
Singapore has several units in the US.......CH-47's.........Singaporean CH-47's were among the forst, if not the first, foreign personnel to take part in Katrina relief efforts. They are apprently based in Texas.

About five years ago they brought in a Singapore crewed CH-47 into Nacogdoches to fight some forest fires in the area. I made some mad commission cash off of that, cha-ching. The crew was cool, spoke english better than I, and insisted that I have my picture taken with them. God knows why they wanted to take my picture. But cool dudes none the less.

bennett4362

deployment sucks
what about all the foreign military personnel in the norfolk area? are they just around for training? i've seen italian, german, swedish, and some others.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Fezz CB said:
It's because we don't have to worry about Mexico coming over the wall at us.

Wait, did I just say that?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
bennett4362 said:
what about all the foreign military personnel in the norfolk area? are they just around for training? i've seen italian, german, swedish, and some others.

SWEDISH!!!??? Don't tell anyone on the C-130 Female Crew thread! :eek: ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
It's because we don't have to worry about Mexico coming over the wall at us.

Wait, did I just say that?

They already are...