• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Former CO gets 42 months!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not a legal-o, but isn't the decision for where to try a case like this based on who the state thinks can bring a heavier case? Was 3.5 years really the best we could manage?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty clear-cut military jurisdiction. The sentencing guidelines/max allowable penalties for these kinds of charges are pretty significant. They clearly didn't max out in that sense. There are always deals and haggling, particularly with a guilty plea, so while the sentence does seem a bit light, we don't know all the factors that went into it. In the end, those with the facts have done their best to serve the interests of the government, which is ultimately their highest duty.

Brett

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Brett, I was thinking the same thing- we don't know all of the details, not least of all would be whose side had a stronger case (the legal system is pragmatic).

Still, 3.5 years is weak. It's a weak punishment and a weak deterrent.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Unfortunately, the latest revision of the UCMJ includes some language that makes Art. 120 offenses much more difficult for prosecution. That may be a factor in why his pre-trial agreement was so lenient. Dunno.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably, but they're not going to take it to that level, particularly in a plea bargain situation. There have only been 15 successful death penalty cases since it was reinstated in the 70s, none of which have been executed, AFAIK.

Brett

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Is rape still a capital offense under the UCMJ?

MCM, Page IV-78

(1) Rape and rape of a child.
Death or such other punishment as a court martial may direct.

and:

(2) Aggravated sexual assault.
Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 30 years.

If you get into the nuts and bolts of 120 though (starting at IV-68), the different offenses are relatively difficult to prove in court though, often because of obtuse or overly restrictive verbiage.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Apparently you haven't heard about the Y/Z parts availability woes for the RAG...

In short: I have plenty of time on my hands.

Oh, and I am now shitfaced. Tuntavern. Out.