• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Four bad guys and a lucky dog

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Hope this link works: http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=152177&ESRC=navy.nl

Here is a description I received:
This is video of an A-10 pilot from 9700 feet away (almost two miles)
lighting up four terrorists with 30 mike-mike cannon WITHOUT injuring the
dog nearby who escaped unharmed. It was shot at night and you are hearing the FAC speaking. It is very
graphic. Tenth round is a tracer, so the bullets you actually see are every
tenth, so they are getting hit with hundreds of rounds, but the dog is
unscathed. Muzzle velocity on the 30mm is 2430 feet per second.

hawkmech

A smelly mechanic
Hope this link works: http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=152177&ESRC=navy.nl

dog nearby who escaped unharmed. It was shot at night and you are hearing the FAC speaking. It is very
There is no way that is video from an A-10. The GAU-2A Avenger on an A-10 sounds like a baritone buzzsaw. The cannon in the vid sounds like that of an Apache. The caliber is the same, 30mm. I think I can speak intelligently to this, as right now I can hear the Apache guys with whom I share a hangar dry test-firing the 30mm.

phrogpilot73

I think the description is a bit off. First, I don't think it's an A-10. I'm guessing an Apache. Here's your video: http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=152177&ESRC=navy.nl and here's another Apache video: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=4189677 notice that the symbology is the same.

Second, the beaten zone is too small to be an A-10 from 9,700 ft. Here's a video of an A-10 that looks to be sub 1,000 ft and the beaten zone it produces:

Finally, It doesn't sound like a FAC or JTAC to me. He uses "Engage" and "Engage Again" rather than "Cleared to Engage" or "Cleared Hot". I don't know of much Type III control that's going on nowadays other than from the COC watching a Predator feed, and then it's normally PGMs...

Nevertheless, nice video.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Seems like an A-10 would shoot off a lot of rounds for only 4 guys. I was thinking of the noise it makes in the youtube vid, and thinking that it couldn't be one either. Sucks to be those guys...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can see what look like rounds almost "floating" in from the left of the video. Maybe what we are seeing is not the video from the firing platform?

phrogpilot73

You can see what look like rounds almost "floating" in from the left of the video. Maybe what we are seeing is not the video from the firing platform?
Very good possibility, but I still say that the beaten zone is too small for it to be an A-10 at 9,700 ft.

Nose

pilot
Seen the vid before. Very cool. Don't know what kind of A/C it is (agree, it is not A-10), and can't explain the "floating" but the point of view is from the firing platform - watch the "rounds" counter (bottom of display) during the firing.

Thought with all the tactical guys here, there would be someone who knew what it was...

N

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not an A-10. HUD in an A-10 doesn't look like that. I don't think they hang a FLIR pod on an A-10 (i know guys who say they use Maverick missiles as makeshift FLIR pods.)

I have been to the 174th's Gunnery Range up at Fort Drum many times and watched the A-10s do their strafing runs. You see a much bigger line of fire, and much less concentrated in such a small spot when they make a strafing pass. Remember, 4200 rounds per minute at 250-350 kts, at that speed even at short burst is going to leave a mark a bit longer than 10 feet. Even at 2 miles out, after the first shot the A-10 would be turning out and not continuing on for a second shot on the same approach.

Plus, as been said before the A-10 gun makes a low buzzing noise.

Cool video though!

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
Also, it's taken from an IR viewing system, obviously outside the visible spectrum. All the bullets are hot, so you aren't seeing tracers, you're see all the bullets.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Not an A-10 firing.....it is the same sound as the Apache video where they wax the guys in the utility truck and the guy hiding behind the tire.... Besides that, the strafe profile would not allow a second engagement like that.....can you say PRESSING THE TARGET.

The A-10 guys over in OEF about a year ago played OEF Bingo....You fill in a square for 1:Seeing two dogs banging in the FLIR....2:Legless JibJib......3: JibJib sleeping in Opium Field....4:Free spot for weapon employment...5:Left to left with a Predator....6:Stupid O-4 radio call.....etc.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
It is an AH-64...

On the screen it says "TADS" which is an Apache only system...

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Jesus, the video games today are getting so realistic! Impressive knowledge from non-wingers above...

~D

HuggyU2

None
It's an Apache. Two twenty round bursts, based on the "rounds" counter in lower right corner of the display.

corrie

SNA MOM2
Sorry Chuncks, but did it ever occur to you that some of these non-wingers have actual experience vs video games? I think you are insulting them, especially when two said exactly what aircraft it was that was firing. Were they wrong? Any feedback?