• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Frat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
ET-Mike said:
Gee, Scooter, frats were banned in the sixties. Times have changed in the past thirty years, Tomash. We no longer swill sherry and screw goats for fun anymore.

Extra points to you for the PCU reference! I looked into doing the whole greek thing at my school, but I figured it wasn't worth it. I didn't want to deal with the bullsh!t of pledging, paying dues, going to meetings, etc. just so I could have someone to drink with. I managed to do that quite well on my own. Also, I went to a private school (thanks Uncle Sam!) so our greeks were pretty much the stereotypical collar-up-on-the-poloshirt rich kids who didn't have to study since daddy was going to get them a job. Maybe it's different at other schools. I knew a few guys from ROTC who did the greek thing, they didn't get comissioned. But hey, maybe that was just my school.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Yes, People do get kicked out of ROTC and lose their scholarship because they don't know their priorities. Having been in a fraternity I know I have done things people not in fraternities have not... squadron life included. I highly recommend waiting a semester or two before pledging... this way you'll set a routine as far as academics.. and you'll know which fraternities you want to join.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you are in a fraternity and ROTC, you will definetely learn to prioritize things. And that's a pretty important skill for a JO. I wasn't in a frat at school, but plenty of my friends who are now SNAs/SNFOs were. While getting a pilot slot is/was important to most of us on here, having fun in college should also be pretty high on the priority list. what fun is life if everyone respects your work ethic, but no one wants to party with you?

Thanks for the advice. It's a tough decision for me, since most of my friends are joining 'fraternities' and my step bro was a Sig Ep (they got thrown off campus), but I party with him and his old Sig Ep buddies, which is always a lotta fun. I'll see how things look when I go back to school this weekend.

If I ever rush it should be this semester, otherwise I'll have too many responsibilities with ROTC and classes will not get any easier. I also agree that a lot of kids blame their slacking on the frat, since my roommate rushed and did just fine, whereas the kid down the hall failed out of school 'because of the frat.'

I've talked to guys in rotc who are in frats, they all encourage me to rush, and they're all doing really well, but I really don't want to risk the pilot slot.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
Again, it's all up to you, what is more important to American Ace?
1. A pilot slot
2. Buying friends
3. His hella cool soccer avatar

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh, the good ol days of being in a fraternity. I miss them so. I never had any problems prioritizing. It was all about balance. Being able to run the 2 or 3 miles during PT the next morning while hung over was a needed skill indeed. My vice was playing that damn Age of Empires strategy game online with a certain Webmaster and a few of our other officer candidate comrades. I swear that game sucked the life out of me....or maybe it was just getting my ass kicked.

In all, it was a great time being in a fraternity. If you have the chance, do it...but do keep those priorities straight. As for the whole hazing thing...well, it does serve a purpose (to an extent) and the navy does it to.

Steve Wilkins said:
Ahh, the good ol days of being in a fraternity. I miss them so. I never had any problems prioritizing. It was all about balance. Being able to run the 2 or 3 miles during PT the next morning while hung over was a needed skill indeed.

Well, I do that stuff normally so maybe greek life is for me.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
That is awesome! The flip flops...so true it hurts. I still wear the flip flops...Oh well. Now if only they could include the browned/torn sorority baseball cap half the guys in my house wore...Those were just nasty...

Status
Not open for further replies.