• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Frequent Wind

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
This is in response to the guy that asked about the Cessna emergency landing at Brunswick:
I think that this is the most incredible story of an emergency Cessna landing on a floating U.S. base....

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Pleas...g+of+a+two-seat+Cessna--with+a...-a0209404848

midway-238b.jpg

frequentwind-002b.jpg

midway-804b.jpg

frequentwind-008b.jpg

midway-788b.jpg

This was an amazingly brave Father and Family...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe that aircraft is now at the Naval Aviation Museum.

Edit: Just noticed it says that near the bottom of the link.......

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I was just thinking/hoping that the air boss must have ordered the arresting gear stripped....I had to go back and look at the first pic....he did!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I was thinking about landing aboard the U.S.S. KittyHawk (now decommed) in a 172 up in Bremerton, WA. But then I decided it wouldn't be worth my freedom.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was just thinking/hoping that the air boss must have ordered the arresting gear stripped....I had to go back and look at the first pic....he did!

Either that or it was already stripped since the whole deck was clobbered with helos. So many in fact, they were throwing them overboard.

Vietnamese_UH-1_pushed_over_board,_Operation_Frequent_Wind.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
yeah...I'm sure you're right Pags...not too many FW ops going on that day.

Pags

N/A
pilot
USS Midway before things got crazy:

frequentwind-009b.jpg

Sure is a glorious sight, a flight deck full of helos with no pointy noses to be seen! Bring a tear to a man's eye.

And here's the O-1 today (in the Naval Aviation Museum as someone mentioned):

webmedia.jpg

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
They're rigged here...

midway-986b.jpg

and these are unbelieveable:

midway-987b.jpg

How did these F-5s and Tweets trap aboard?? :)

frequentwind-027b.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Wikipedia has a decent bit on it (taken with a grain of salt). In it they say that the wires were stripped (good call Mumbles) to take the O-1 on board.

It also says that Midway went to Thailand after the evac and the CH-53s ferried the FW a/c on board.

rrpilot

This is in response to the guy that asked about the Cessna emergency landing at Brunswick:
I think that this is the most incredible story of an emergency Cessna landing on a floating U.S. base....

Yup, that was me who started that thread, This is a cool story can't believe I never heard of it, thanks for posting it!

I think it was Barry Schiff who wrote an article in AOPA magazine a few years ago about landing his Cessna on a carrier, all the training and hoops he had to jump through to get permission to do it...of course in the last paragraph it's all revealed to be a chronicle of a recent dream he had...:)

beaverslayer

pilot
This might be a ridiculous question, but if something like this were to happen today, how would it be handled? My guess would be that with the much higher risk of explosives planted in the plane, it wouldn't be allowed to land, but I could be way off. What do you guys think?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
If anything comes remotely close to a carrier without the proper IFF codes it will be intercepted.

beaverslayer

pilot
Yeah that's what I figured.

This is quite an amazing story though--too bad it probably won't ever happen again in my generation.