• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Frequent Wind

Pags

N/A
pilot
It was a very unique situation with the evacuation of South Vietnam. Numerous helicopters were swarming to the Midway to evacuate as many people as they could. When some of them couldn't find a spot to land on, they ditched next to the carrier. I don't think there was a lot of method to the madness that day and a lot of normal and safe procedures went by the wayside.

navy09

None
This might be a ridiculous question, but if something like this were to happen today, how would it be handled? My guess would be that with the much higher risk of explosives planted in the plane, it wouldn't be allowed to land, but I could be way off. What do you guys think?

That's why God made ESSMs (or CIWS).

beaverslayer

pilot
Gotcha... that makes sense. It's amazing that in the midst of all that madness, people on board thought to get both pictures and a video of the event. I'm glad they did too--it's pretty amazing to look at.

rrpilot

If we know it's coming.....just saying......;)

This reminds me of meeting a man back in 2001 KFWN in Sussex where I earned my private pilot rating, he told me he worked for a contractor that did work with the Navy regarding the threat of light aircraft. According to this guy he flew a Bede BD-5 as an 'aggressor' against Carrier Battle Groups with the goal being to see if he was intercepted or not, when I asked him how he made out he wouldn't tell me...very mysterious,lol.
I have no idea if he was full of crap or not, I was so new to aviation then I pretty much would have believed any somewhat reasonable story that didn't have characters named Maverick or Goose,lol, anybody ever hear of this kinda thing?...probably a dumb question since I assume if true it would be classified..

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Busy day aboard USS Midway during Frequent Wind:

spectrum75030b.jpg

spectrum75026b.jpg