• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY10 STA-21 Applicants gather round!

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
Yea, I have taken 3 semesters of Calculus and 3 semester of Calculus based Physics (I was an engineering major at UC Davis before joining the military), but I am guessing whoever gets picked up for this program has to have an unbelievably strong package being that they only took 2 out of 88 last year. But good job on your SAT of 1480 (perfect Math score, that's impressive). I am sure the board will look favorably upon a high Math score like that. Good luck

I think they are looking for people with medical experience, so HMs and some SOs have an inherent advantage. But since it is something that I wanted to do, I will be damned if I didn't try.
The number applicants last year might not be a good indication for this year. Reasonable people would have considered switching to Nurse option given its selection rate. We could be in a minority of people who applied regardless of the chances. Of course, that is just hopeful speculations. Anyhow, good luck to you too.

jsimons33

I think they are looking for people with medical experience, so HMs and some SOs have an inherent advantage. But since it is something that I wanted to do, I will be damned if I didn't try.
The number applicants last year might not be a good indication for this year. Reasonable people would have considered switching to Nurse option given its selection rate. We could be in a minority of people who applied regardless of the chances. Of course, that is just hopeful speculations. Anyhow, good luck to you too.

I am a corpsman and have 5 years medical experience prior to joining. However, while having a strong medical background may help, I think considering the length and difficulty of med school they are also looking for someone who has a strong math and science background, with a history of doing well in college already. This program is different than all the others in that they are investing in a long term commitment (you have to complete your B.S. and Med School) and they want to be sure that you will finish it. Having strong SAT scores (such as your 1480) is also a major plus because it is an indication that you do well on tests and therefore may be able to score well on your MCAT's.

brian_burrows

1st Timer FY10

I had originally started this year with the Med Corp option but after realizing that my package was fairly weak compared to some of the other packages I had seen I switched over to Nurse option. So I actually hope that you are wrong and that I'm the only applicant to the Nurse option :).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
So supposing someone were to get picked up for the program... Would their timeline look something like this:

Accepted - October
Submit degree plan, acceptance letter, and medical info - Nov-Jan?
Transfer to NSI - Mar-Jul
Attend college - Up to 36 months
Get commissioned - Upon graduation
Transfer to respective communities school
Graduate
PCS to next duty station

That's the timeline that I know of. Any that have already been through it please feel free to fill in any gaps.

You could go to the February NSI class and start school during the summer semester of 2010.

The guys who graduated ODU in May just left for Pensacola (flight school) last week. Stash Ensign at ODU over the summer was a sweet deal.

Beaker

No results yet :(
I work at a message center and just finished searching our system for any new NAVADMINs, nothing, found the last few NAVADMINs release but not the STA-21 Results

I'm another SWO/ED candidate

Rate: ET1(SW)
Years of Service: 8 this month
SAT: 1140 (580 ENG, 560 MAT)
College Credits: 98 (including Calc I, Calc II, Phy I & Phy II)
None from CLEPS, DANTES etc w/ A in Calc I and B+ in Calc II
College degree is in Electronic Engineering Technology
Last 5 evals: 4.0 MP, 4.0 MP, 4.29 EP, 4.14 MP, 4.57 EP
4.57 EP is most recent

I think you get ranked with the other calls and then whatever NFO spots needed to be filled, they filled them with those willing to switch.

Okay, I wasn't sure if your CO knew that too. I was kind of banking on getting an NFO spot but the more I think about what "might" have happened, the more I think that they called a lot of people and only had a few spots open. Making my chances not as good as I had hoped. We will see...

Cleonard19

Contributor
Another week! So are we all assuming results won't be out until Friday if its this week?

Most ashore personnel not on watch have today off, so I wouldn't anticipate a lot of activity here today. Mass histeria will recommence tomorrow or wednesday.

I included a LOA from The Citadel and Auburn in my package, and have applied to U of Arizona. (Damn Nuke option school list)

I was sort of secretly hoping to get picked up for CORE instead of Nuke, but Pensacola never received my CORE Page-13, so all my eggs are now in the nuke basket.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
SAT=650ENG/650MATH
ACT=28comb, 25ENG, 27MATH
years of service=6
rate=EM1(SS)
option=NFO
eval=MP,MP,MP,EP,EP
4 Classes done (non smart)
ASTB 7-AQR, 7-FOFAR, 60-OAR
Applying to University of Colorado (Boulder), Majoring in History, contemplating chaninging my major to Business Administration

AT2Hubin

Have you found a school that will accept more than 1 or 2 smart credits? I've got 186 credits just from SMART stuff and both colleges I talked to said they wouldn't accept any of it.
For what it's worth, Coastline Community College took all my rate specific SMART credits. I started taking courses with them around 6 months ago, I'm only 3 classes away from an AA in Electronics right now.

timmyhoffa

FY-12 SWO/ED Selectee
For what it's worth, Coastline Community College took all my rate specific SMART credits. I started taking courses with them around 6 months ago, I'm only 3 classes away from an AA in Electronics right now.

Thanks for the reply. I actually got my AA from Coastline last year. I guess it really depends on what kind of degree you want to get. I'm hoping to work on a technical major and it doesn't seem like those types of programs accept SMART credit.

loweryab

SAT=650ENG/650MATH
ACT=28comb, 25ENG, 27MATH
years of service=6
rate=EM1(SS)
option=NFO
eval=MP,MP,MP,EP,EP
4 Classes done (non smart)
ASTB 7-AQR, 7-FOFAR, 60-OAR
Applying to University of Colorado (Boulder), Majoring in History, contemplating chaninging my major to Business Administration

I'm pretty sure that University of Colorado only has one campus that we are able to attend because of the ROTC unit, and that is the Denver campus. I am also applying there. Good luck!