• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Garrison Cap

amanufan

Anybody know why the Blue Angels, and many other naval aviators for that matter, wear the garrison cap pushed down in the middle?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So we don't look like a supply officer wearing a large manilla envelope on his head. (I've seen it, it wasn't pretty.)

robav8r

None
Contributor
Actually, the "dip" is not in the middle, it's about two thirds of the way back. Also, the garrison cap should always have a slight "list" to one side or the other. Nothing more annoying than seeing a shoe wearing a garrison cap (which is rare in itself) perfectly centered on his head, pefectly aligned fore & aft, with no dip.

:icon_carn

phrogpilot73

Anybody know why the Blue Angels, and many other naval aviators for that matter, wear the garrison cap pushed down in the middle?
Not all Blue Angels wear the dip...

BA1.jpg
BA2.jpg
BA3.jpg
BA4.jpg
BA5.jpg

phrogpilot73

Yep, all "pretty boy" Marines looking spiffy for their PAO photo. :D
I generally make it a point to capitalize Navy and Sailor, the least you could do is return the favor! ;)

I think you mean "homos" looking "gay" for their PAO photo... Not that I would call a fellow Marine a homo, but they ARE fixed wing bubbas after all ;)

robav8r

None
Contributor
I generally make it a point to capitalize Navy and Sailor, the least you could do is return the favor! ;)

I think you mean "homos" looking "gay" for their PAO photo... Not that I would call a fellow Marine a homo, but they ARE fixed wing bubbas after all ;)

My spelling was part of the overt disrespect ;) As for being a "homo" - man, just look at those gay, blue flight suits !!! I can't believe any self- respecting "Leatherneck" would allow himself to wear one !!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Here's a couple of ol' grainy pix taken from captured enemy spy-propaganda footage -- thus demonstrating the CORRECT wear of the so-called "garrison-overseas-pisscutter" cap on the head of any self-respecting NAVAL AVIATOR, complete with the mystery-shrouded, so-called "dip" (which was NEVER discussed -- just done :)) :

pisscutter1wq0.jpg
pisscutter2pk4.jpg

*Sigh* .... rookies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The dip, frighteningly enough :)D:D), was brought to us by the VP community in WWII. Look for pictures of a PBY crew and you will see them wearing their garrison caps to protect their heads against the (apparently) highly uncomfortable headsets of the day (I believe B-17 crews called them "C-clamps").

Thus, when they wore their garrison caps outside the aircraft,
they were already "pre-dipped," and thus began another naval aviation tradition.