• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Generation Kill

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Because a Cpl does not go around talking to SNCO's and officers with phrases such as "hey Dog, you gonna eat that?" or "Dog, that was awesome."

True enough, however in my experience it's always been used amongst peers.
Granted, it's definitely over-used in the first episode. The accepted term is "Devil Dog", but it was never an issue when someone used the shortened version "Dog". I acknowledge though that it may be different in different units.

"Dog" is a name Marines call guys in the Army.

Yeah, I suppose. But hasn't "dog" become more of a slang word outside of ranks too? I hear it used all the time, including movies/shows/etc in the civilian sector. I recall using it in college when talking to friends or acquantances. It seems the longer I hang around the Corps though, the more we've resorted to just calling everyone "dude" again. I can just imagine how that would have went over 10 years ago.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^ concur... same in my old unit. "Dog" was commonly used as an abbreviation of Devil Dog by peers... fairly common actaully. You might as well have one foot in the fifth circle of hell if you try that with the Sgt. Maj though. f that.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
^^ concur... same in my old unit. "Dog" was commonly used as an abbreviation of Devil Dog by peers... fairly common actaully. You might as well have one foot in the fifth circle of hell if you try that with the Sgt. Maj though. f that.

When I was at NACCS we had a Staff Sgt. that called his Marines "Dog"...
He was the biggest dude I've ever seen, so maybe nobody would correct him on it.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Because a Cpl does not go around talking to SNCO's and officers with phrases such as "hey Dog, you gonna eat that?" or "Dog, that was awesome."

Not sure what units you have been but that may have been more of a recon thing.

I haven't watched the show, but thought the book was OK to good. One criticism I had of the book is that it seemed like when in doubt he deferred too much to the typical bitter and disaffected Lcpl. The author is pretty clear that he wanted to capture the point of view of the average grunt, so I guess he got what he was going for.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I call bullshit. I just talked to a friend of mine, Sgt. Wise, who served with 1st Recon until he was medically discharged with a wound suffered by an RPG. He calls shenanigans on the dog business. Ya, my unit says "hey devil" or "hey devil dog" but none of this gangsta from the hood, "wussup dog" BS to the SNCOs and officers. Even recon bastages still suck the Marine Corps' regulation tit.

Either way, if this is the biggest gripe I have with the show then I'm definitely satisfied so far. :)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I call bullshit. I just talked to a friend of mine, Sgt. Wise, who served with 1st Recon until he was medically discharged with a wound suffered by an RPG. He calls shenanigans on the dog business. Ya, my unit says "hey devil" or "hey devil dog" but none of this gangsta from the hood, "wussup dog" BS to the SNCOs and officers. Even recon bastages still suck the Marine Corps' regulation tit.

Either way, if this is the biggest gripe I have with the show then I'm definitely satisfied so far. :)

I've heard it used in the Marine Corps, but only as a substitute for other such terms as "dude" or "man".

Not something a subordinate would use towards a senior, or even around anybody much senior to him.

If you wouldn't call him dude, then don't call him dog.

I've heard my SgtMaj use it when talking to other senior enlisted in private or on the phone (mainly other SgtsMaj), but then again, I'm a nasty airwinger.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Well, I was with a reserve unit... so all members were from here in socal... hence the prevailance of said slang in our unit...I've heard it only a couple other places. So I call shenanigans on your shenanigans! ;) also concur with HD, only to persons of the same peer group, not superiors. thus endeth "dog" conver-sation!