• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

George Carlin dead at 71

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
He got much angrier / I think less funny these last few years...

Still, he is my favorite comedian, very sad to see him go.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
George was, I think, the last of the Lenny Bruce generation of truly ground-breaking comedians. Like Lenny, the older he got, the angrier and less funny he became, but still. One of the pioneers.

I saw a rerun of one of his first HBO specials (early 80's?), and they felt compelled to run a disclaimer beforehand. Not the "danger: bad words" ones that are standard now, but a respectable-looking dude in a suit, explaining that "Mr Carlin's language is probably a little bluer than you're used to."

My point being, not so much that things have changed since then, but that George was one of the people who changed things.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of my favorite comedians. The world will be forever changed because of him; "Seven dirty words you can't say on TV" was one of the first bits I committed to memory. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He got much angrier / I think less funny these last few years...
A lot of people get angrier, less tolerant or patient, in old age. A4s, case in point ;). Still, I think it may not have just been an angry attitude. He got a bit more political the last few years, surprise. And if you are going to do his humor on something like this president and the war, for his typical crowd, it will be angry.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think his absolute BEST material was the material without the gratuitous cursing or gross humor. I like that stuff too, but, for example, his "Stuff" routine was absolute genius.

"Ever notice how other people's stuff is shit, and YOUR shit is stuff??"

This is a prime example of how I can fully respect and admire someone who has, in some ways, completely conflicting political ideologies with my own.

*ahem* Larry Flynt *ahem*

I still listen to his stand up and books on tape (Napalm and Silly Putty) when I'm taking long trips (like I am today).

"There's another thing you never see: You NEVER see a guy taking a shit, running at full speed!"

"Chickens are DECENT people! You never see a chicken strapping a guy to a chair and hooking up his nuts to a car battery."

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I've always thought people like George Carlin and Richard Pryor (two different comedians of course) were some of the TRUE kings of comedy..not some of this stuff that is out there today like Bernie Mack and what not calling themselves the "kings of comedy".

Eddie Murphy "Raw" and Richard Pryor were more my taste, but I also could appreciate George Carlin's perspective whether I agreed or not.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Probably disagreed more than agreed with the man, but I still laughed either way.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
"Here's another group of people that need to be strapped into chairs and beaten with hammers!"

Saw him live in Pensacola once. Great guy. Surely missed

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A lot of people get angrier, less tolerant or patient, in old age. A4s, case in point....
Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but ....

I guess as we've seen "most" of YOUR mistakes ... our inclination to "suffer fools lightly" is thereby diminished and our go-nuclear "early & often" threshold is that much lower ... :)

In any case ....

oldguysjc4.gif

Let us hope the rest of you make to that spot in life .... :)

Believe it.

Trainwreck

Got a little captain in ya?
Saw him in Vegas a couple of years ago. Almost fell out of my seat laughing so hard. He will be missed. Bets on how long it'll be before Carlos Mencia starts stealing his material???

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Saw him in Vegas a couple of years ago. Almost fell out of my seat laughing so hard. He will be missed. Bets on how long it'll be before Carlos Mencia starts stealing his material???

He's already stolen material from George Carlin and Bill Hicks that I have personally seen...:icon_rage