• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Gift idea for Marine Officer Instructor???

Our MOI is leaving next week. He's been a key player in the Battalion since he arrived 3 years ago. He's a logistics officer and a great guy who really likes 'molding' the future of the Navy and Marine Corps. I'm wanting to present him with something (most likely from the Senior class) before he departs and heads to Iraq with the 3rd MAW.

My question is: What sort of gift should we look at getting? Price isn't really a concern and I don't like the idea of a biography of Chesty or someone like that with our signatures in the cover (someone's suggestion)...I want to be half-way original and definitely make it something he can hang on his wall or keep in his office for the rest of his career. I know it would mean the world to him. So let me know what you all have seen/think would be appropriate.

Thanks,

J

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Forget the wall. He probably has plenty of USMC stuff.

MacAllan 18 Year.

12 Year if you have no funds.

25 Year if you have lots of funds.

VAmookie

had a marine mentor type back in the day... bought him an 80 dollar bottle of single malt scotch... he thought that was a pretty good gift. Also, cigars are an good acompanyment(sp?)

Don't think he's into the hard alcohol bit, or cigars really...he's a triathelete and enjoys the ocassional good brew but little more. I'd go with the knife thing except the Semper Fi Society is already getting him a K-Bar...

Thanks for the suggestions, though. And keep 'em coming.

-J

VAmookie

im a triathlete and very athletic. How dare you suggest that alcohal and athleticism are mutually exclusive.

T

TXHusker05

Well it depends, narrow it down a bit. One of those humidors with an EGA engraved on top would look beautiful, but if he is not a cigar guy... it's pointless.

Do you want something really Marine or just like a nice gift. When my uncle left the Marines, he was given a bronze statue of the Iwo Jima memorial, about 1 foot tall. It had a small plaque on the base that had his name, rank, and some other info... then his CO signed the base with one of those fancy gold markers.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm a fan of the K-bar with the engraving (name, unit, tour dates) on the blade. We gave our AMOI such an item for his departure, way back when.

Remember, you can hang a knife on the wall, but it's really hard to kill someone with a plaque.

Dalamara

You could pool your money and start a little fund to send him stuff every few weeks while he's in Iraq. Movies, food, alcohol, music, toothbrush, that kinda stuff. That way he'd know you guys were thinkin of him and it'd be more practical than some of the other ideas, although it really has very little sentimental value.

T

TXHusker05

phrogdriver said:
I'm a fan of the K-bar with the engraving (name, unit, tour dates) on the blade. We gave our AMOI such an item for his departure, way back when.

Remember, you can hang a knife on the wall, but it's really hard to kill someone with a plaque.

Just to go with the Ka-Bar thing, I found this awhile back and bought it for the same uncle as above when he got home... it is 5 pictures down: http://www.imsplus.com/ims8f.html

I am sure a personal inscribed Ka-bar would be nice for him.

East

东部
Contributor
Go for the jacket

Try to get your hands on a G-1 leather in his size from the DLA system, go to the paraloft guys and let them make leather nametag with his name/rank/branch and "#1 Marine" or similar text.

Great gift for casual use.

If you really want to impress, add vintage leather patches from:

http://tipsygypsy.7p.com/index.html

Attachments

• Mvc-464s.jpg
    Mvc-464s.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 28
  • TAGUSMCEGA.jpg
    TAGUSMCEGA.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 32
  • USMColor.jpg
    USMColor.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 34
The K-Bar thing is out.... The Semper Fi Society (all the Marines at the unit) are already getting him that.

I'm thinking about going with a nice, double-matted picture of the BN in front of the columns (Mizzou's landmark), then inlaying two Battalion coins along with nice script on parchment paper. Then having the senior class (those who've worked with him the longest) sign it. What do you think? Too standard?

-J

KBayDog

Ka-Bar

You might want to check and see if he already has an engraved Ka-Bar from a previous unit. (No, you don't have to ask him directly - most Marines have an "I Love Me" wall or shelf at work or home full of photos and end of tour plaques.) The Ka-Bar idea is popular, but it is a bit unoriginal. Since originality is one of your stated goals, you might want to stay away from the Ka-Bar/plaque idea. If he doesn't have one yet, he'll have many, many other opportunities to get his Ka-Bar plaque.

However, he won't have many other chances to get a great momento of his MOI days at EduTech University.

Perhaps you could see if your university's gift shop has something unique to your school? Perhaps something that would be a great conversation piece? A tour as a MOI is a 'different' job - I would get him something just as 'different.' I would find him something so out of the ordinary that when people come into his next office, they will ignore the wall of brown, standard issue plaques and pictures because their eyes will be drawn immediately you your gift. Every time he has someone in his office, he will be reminded of you clowns.