• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going back to school for another Bachelor's degree and wanting to do NROTC

3rdgenav8tor

Woot
None
I'm looking at possibly going back to school for Aerospace Engineering and wanted to see if I could qualify for a 2 year NROTC scholarship or just NROTC with the Marine Flight Option. I know the age cut-off is 23, but are there age waivers for guys wanting to go back and get another bachelor's degree in a different degree field. If there are age waivers, what are the regulations for them?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm looking at possibly going back to school for Aerospace Engineering and wanted to see if I could qualify for a 2 year NROTC scholarship or just NROTC with the Marine Flight Option. I know the age cut-off is 23, but are there age waivers for guys wanting to go back and get another bachelor's degree in a different degree field. If there are age waivers, what are the regulations for them?

IMO, you need to decide what you want most.....second degree or to be a Naval Aviator? You're already a college grad and advancing in years so that your window to go to flight school is closing rather quickly. You can get another degree at any time, but you've only got one shot at getting through the door at Pensacola. It would be a shame if you got wrapped up in your second degree and missed your best chance to fly.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HJ covers it pretty well. Why don't you apply, get selected, go to OCS, then flight school. You can always get your Masters later on in life. What is the underlying drive to obtain a second bachelors? Crappy grades on the first one?

The Navy WILL NOT pay for a second BS or BA.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Seriously, why in the world do you want a second bachelor's? I never actually worked in the engineering (I was an ME in college) industry, but I also don't know anyone who has benefitted much career-wise from having a 2nd BS. Masters degrees are 1) much more specialized, and 2) provide many more options in terms of area of study, not to mention the fact that if you did get back into "industry" after the Nav, you would have a more meaningful academic background to fall back on. If you are purely interested in this for the sake of learning more, then I think you would get a lot more out of graduate level education. Not only that, but big Navy will more than likely pick up the tab for you at some point if you chose to go that route.

3rdgenav8tor

Woot
None
the reason i would like to get a second bachelor's degree is because I would like to attend the USNTPS and the only way to go to that is if I have an Engineering degree of some sort. I have a Bachelor's degree in Business, with a focus on the Recording Industry (not very useful at all.) My main thing is I want to become a test pilot.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Don't worry about mile 21 of the marathon when you haven't passed mile 1. You only need a math, hard science, or engineering degree to qualify. Work on being an officer and aviator first. Maybe you can get the prereqs part-time if you want it bad enough.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, don't put the cart before the horse. have you taken the ASTB? What was your GPA? Are you PHYSICALLY & MEDICALLY qualified? There are multiple steps you need to accomplish before you become a pilot.

-ea6bflyr ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
the reason i would like to get a second bachelor's degree is because I would like to attend the USNTPS and the only way to go to that is if I have an Engineering degree of some sort. I have a Bachelor's degree in Business, with a focus on the Recording Industry (not very useful at all.) My main thing is I want to become a test pilot.

The Navy is set up to help you get that if you had opted for USNA from the start or NROTC or BDCP. It's too late in the game to decide to go back for a bachelors on their nickel. Even if you paid for it out of your pocket you're risking not even getting your wings by delaying.

Would you rather have your wings and not go to USNTPS or get an Aero degree and not get your wings? You have to face facts that you're almost 26 and several doors are already closed to you. You can still become a VX pilot without going to TPS and like Phrogdriver says, you can pick up the degree on the side. Don't blow your shot at wings of gold trying for a virtually impossible path at this late hour.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not entirely sure if you need to have started out with an engineering BS, but USNTPS offers a co-op program where you get your MS prior to attending TPS. I had a friend who went to the AFIT to get his MS in Mech E before starting flight school (post commissioning) and he met a number of Navy LT aviators there who were in this program, and about to head of for class at pax river. Just a thought, and definitely don't waste your time doing this just to have a shot at maybe one day doing TPS.....no have literally NO idea where flight school, the fleet and your career will take you. Personally, I did my engineering degree primarily to be eligible for TPS so I know where you are coming from, but honestly the more I hear about it from dudes who have been there, the less serious I am about doing it. You may have a similar change of heart, and is it really worth possibly not flying at all? Wouldn't be to me anyway :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
TP is a good gig, but it ain't Chuck Yeager shit anymore. If you think it's about strapping on an a/c and just seeing how fast it goes you will be incredibly disappointed.

I know a guy who did the Monterey co-op. I'm pretty sure you still need the math/eng/sci prereqs.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A buddy of mine, a real braniac, went to TPS and he absolutely loved the flying but HATED the paperwork. They have to do pages upon pages of reports before the flight detailing what they want to test in the air, then when the flight is over, they analyze the data and write a follow-up report. It takes TPS reports to the next level.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
I know a guy who did the Monterey co-op. I'm pretty sure you still need the math/eng/sci prereqs.
It's generally expected that you have some background in engineering. I think there are a few classes to remind you of the nerd stuff you forgot in the 6yrs since college, but it's remedial, not tutorial.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A buddy of mine, a real braniac, went to TPS and he absolutely loved the flying but HATED the paperwork. They have to do pages upon pages of reports before the flight detailing what they want to test in the air, then when the flight is over, they analyze the data and write a follow-up report. It takes TPS reports to the next level.

-ea6bflyr ;)

And the paperwork to flight hour ratio is considerable, if not insane.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
It's generally expected that you have some background in engineering. I think there are a few classes to remind you of the nerd stuff you forgot in the 6yrs since college, but it's remedial, not tutorial.

When you apply to the board the school will give you an assessment (based upon your transcripts) of how likely you are to successfully complete the program as a direct entry. You will also get an assessment from NPS and AFIT on whether or not they will take you/how long they think you would take in their co-op programs. The board will take this into account in their deliberations, and your detailer will take it into account as far as whether or not you can complete the schools and payback tour and still meet your career gates (different for 1310's/1510's).

And the paperwork to flight hour ratio is considerable, if not insane.

In the end, you have to decide if the fun of the flying (which may or not be fun depending upon what programs you work) outweighs the pain of the test plan process.

3rdgenav8tor

Woot
None
Thanks for all the useful information guys. I have strongly reconsidered not going back to school. I understand now why most guys like me just take the ASTB, pass the beast and apply from a civi standpoint instead of going back to school. I'm trying to get the ASTB scheduled within the next month for me to take. I really don't wanna delay getting my wings of gold, but the going back to school and going through NROTC was my dad's idea actually.