• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Going to college completely FREE!

UMichfly

pilot
None
University of Michigan sent me propaganda about free room and board for an AFJROTC scholarship I didn't (thank God) take back in 1995.

As far as the University of Michigan is concerned, I'm pretty sure they're not going to give anyone free room and board regardless of what branch. Sure would be nice though...

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Fly: I assume your post wasn't intended to sound as rude as it did, so I'll just clarify, since you obviously didn't get it the first time. Based on a combination of grades, SAT scores, and performance in the AFJROTC unit, I was eligible for an early select AFROTC scholarship. Within 3 weeks of the confirmation, I started receiving offers of room and board from universities trying to attract students to their ROTC units. I don't remeber them all, but U of M was one of them. Michigan was one of the schools I was looking at, but couldn't afford the out of state fees, so the room and board would have been a big help. This was almost 11 years ago, so take it for what it's worth

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly: I assume your post wasn't intended to sound as rude as it did, so I'll just clarify, since you obviously didn't get it the first time. Based on a combination of grades, SAT scores, and performance in the AFJROTC unit, I was eligible for an early select AFROTC scholarship. Within 3 weeks of the confirmation, I started receiving offers of room and board from universities trying to attract students to their ROTC units. I don't remeber them all, but U of M was one of them. Michigan was one of the schools I was looking at, but couldn't afford the out of state fees, so the room and board would have been a big help. This was almost 11 years ago, so take it for what it's worth

I wasn't trying to be rude at all. Hence my question. Thanks for the answer.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
University of Saint Thomas (crosstown to the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities). I had tons of friends at St Thomas who reeped the benefits of full scholarship and free room and board + stipend.

And plus, who wouldnt want to take classes with hot catholic college girls? Yes please!

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
University of Saint Thomas (crosstown to the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities). I had tons of friends at St Thomas who reeped the benefits of full scholarship and free room and board + stipend.

And plus, who wouldnt want to take classes with hot catholic college girls? Yes please!

But not in Minnesota.

Charles

"Going to college completely FREE"

(N)ROTC does present a lot of opportunities to people who would like to pursue a college degree and serve in the military. Scholarship benefits certainly open many doors but keep two things in mind: Make sure you are doing it for the right reasons, and know that it's not free by any means - there are many opportunity costs (a service commitment being one of them, pick up the front page of any newspaper for the others). I know firsthand a number of kids who thought it'd be a nice little joyride and a way to pay for school. Thats the wrong attitude. It's certainly a great deal, but the purpose is to provide educational opportunities for those who are preparing to be future Officers and serve. There aren't a whole lot of scholarships being handed out so just make sure if you go for it you're doing it for those reasons. Otherwise, you're closing the door for someone else. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where I went to school, which is cross-town with The College of the Holy Cross NROTC, pays full room and board for scholarship NROTC students. Nothing like a $120,000 education for absolutely free.

Yes, but there is that little issue of obligated service...so not 100% free per se.

My siblings did MIT and RPI on USAF ROTC.

Cheers,
G

bulldozer3

pilot
I went to Virginia Tech, and if you are in the Corps of Cadets there, you pick up an ELS (emerging leaders scholarship, or some sort), that equals out to your room cost. Thing is you have to be in the corps. Its basically a small military program in a large university.

grnweenie

Fezz CB said:

My friend went to St. Thomas and she was quite the fox.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Mercer in GA hooks you up. Norwich does as well, as mentioned above. University of South Florida has an awesome program and the scholarship covers it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
gatordev said:
It's not ROTC, but there's this school up north....damn, what's the name? They give you full room and board, plus a monthly paycheck AND they even give you clothes to wear. Crap, what's the name of that place? It's in Maryland somewhere, on that bay with all the crabs and stuff.

And surrounded by water and steel gates...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For tuition, ROTC covers housing for Tulane and Notre Dame ONLY.

Some other schools will typically offer free/ discounted housing with/ without strings attached. I know at USD they will pay your housing if you agree to work for 8 hrs a week. Not a bad deal if you ask me.