• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good website for a legend....albeit a slow legend...the S-2

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The STOOF -- S-2 or C-1 --- a great ol' airplane -- a pig, but grrrreat, nevertheless. The last of the deck launchers on a CVA. Everyone's hands on the throttles, full forward. I have @ 5 hours in the right seat -- kinda strange having those throttles in the overhead ... :)

tracker1lt2.jpg
trackers2ecockpitlp3.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Looks like a radial engine, single vertical stab version of the C-2......

ACTUALLY ... it looks more like two T-28's flying formation on a Dempsey Dumpster ... and that was one of the derisive descriptions of the STOOF in the 'ol days .... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... I can't even imagine what it'd be like to fly with overhead throttles.
The gear handle was there, also ... the COD could actually get up and move when empty with those two big Wright 1500+ hp radials ... the engine entered production sometime in the early '30's and served in a host of Navy and Army Air Corps aircraft .... but the S-2 was always draggin' because of all her ASW gear weight ...

trackeroverheadpanedu3.jpg
wrightr1820cyclonerh9.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Can't imagine flying the plane to the boat with the power levers like that. It's a classic warbird though.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
You notice the upper hatch open over the guy's helmet??? That was SOP for shipboard ops as that is how you'd get out/try to get out if you ended up in the drink. :)

I wonder why it's not SOP with our C-2's or E-2's?? I know the E-2's open the rear hatch for the NFO's. My guess is because we don't open the ditching hatches in the rear for the pax....probably a bit to scary and one of them is above the seats......thus we can't open ours if the pax don't have a way out.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not for the faint of heart. Maybe a repost as well. Not a bad site if you come from a twin turbo prop background. For all you wannabe jet types or current jet types, move along.

http://home.wxs.nl/~roden171/index.html

Well this jet type actually had the pleasure of bagging a few hours each in an S-2G, a C-1 and a US-2B (aka, "used-to-be"), along with a variety of other dissimilar aircraft (as can be seen in the logbook page below).

While an F-4 almost taxies faster than an S-2 flies, the Stoof was really a lot of fun to fly. Gotta love the sound and power of those big 1820's, and especially hanging your hand on those overhead throttles. Lots of fun and good memories!

Attachments

• logpage1.jpg
    logpage1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 81

brownshoe

Contributor
Not for the faint of heart. Maybe a repost as well. Not a bad site if you come from a twin turbo prop background. For all you wannabe jet types or current jet types, move along.

http://home.wxs.nl/~roden171/index.html

Brings to mind this old cartoon strip I’d read as a kid. COD crews in my day were usually worn out and tired from trip after trip. Crumpled uniforms like this old AF cartoon but almost always jovial. Many a trip I took on “USN Airlines” In the rear with the parts and mail. I hoist one for you COD guys! Thanks for the memories!

Steve

Attachments

• terrywwii.gif
    terrywwii.gif
    65.9 KB · Views: 69

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Well this jet type actually had the pleasure of bagging a few hours each in an S-2G, a C-1 and a US-2B (aka, "used-to-be"), along with a variety of other dissimilar aircraft (as can be seen in the logbook page below).

While an F-4 almost taxies faster than an S-2 flies, the Stoof was really a lot of fun to fly. Gotta love the sound and power of those big 1820's, and especially hanging your hand on those overhead throttles. Lots of fun and good memories!

Like A4s and Catmando, I have a few hours in the right seat of the C-1 and too many more in the back. We had a C-1 assigned during my first cruise on Midway in 1980. It was always a treat to watch it deck roll from Vulture's Row, but I hated sitting in the back of the C-1 when it was deck rolling. I think I had about a half dozen or so deck rolls. We used to shuttle crews to the PI for PMCF's or other requirements, and the C-1 was usually how we got there. More reliable and faster than a helo!!