• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Good website for a legend....albeit a slow legend...the S-2

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I wonder why it's not SOP with our C-2's or E-2's?? .....
It seems like it WAS open back in the 'ol days. I won't bet my next paycheck on it, but I seem to remember the E/C-2's going by the LSO platform with the lid open in the cockpit ... ???? :confused::)

PRIMUS

Down here near St. Augustine Airport (SGJ) there is an S-2 graveyard. There's got to be at least a dozen of those babies all covered in moss and corrosion about a 1/2 mile south of the Northrup Grumman facility up the road. -Looks like something you'd see in a movie.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh... I stick by my theory that the ditching hatches, like the parachutes, are in the E-2/C-2 for morale purposes only.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Eh... I stick by my theory that the ditching hatches, like the parachutes, are in the E-2/C-2 for morale purposes only.
While I see your point that some stuff is B.S. and some is wishful thinking at best .... I must disagree with the "morale purposes only" observation.

Just so some herein don't get the "wrong" idea:

You keep fighting, you NEVER quit, you NEVER give up, you NEVER say "die" while there's still a breath in you .... NEVER QUIT -- EVER.

Witness:

whaledowngg5.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't disagree. I'm just saying that it's tough getting from the Tube to the hatch with your 'chute when you're sitting on deck doing a Ditch & Bailout drill. Add smoke, fire, nighttime, wrasslin' with the controls up front, I think a successful full-crew bailout is a doubtful proposition at best. Ditching is a better bet - apparently Hummers float pretty well - but unless you're sitting ACO and right under the hatch, and it's open and stowed and everything works as advertised, I still wouldn't want to try it.

I believe that's an Whale in the picture above? Pretty relevant - it had a similarly doubtful bailout system and the joke was that A3D stood for All Three Dead (as in all three aircrew). But you can see the crew sitting on the wings and waiting for the helo, so you're absolutely right. Never say die.

phrogpilot73

But you can see the crew sitting on the wings and waiting for the helo, so you're absolutely right. Never say die.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... What does a jet guy look like to a helo bubba? Cold, Wet, and Scared... ;)

As for the ditching/bailout debate - at least you have a chance of being upright. Everything you mentioned (smoke, debris, etc) is in play in helos, but we're upside down...