• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got my first choice.... Hercs!

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Selected two weeks ago and got Hercs, my first choice. Heading to Corpus in two weeks and supposed to start in July..... hopefully done and winged (again) by the end of the year. We are thinking of trying to go to Miramar or Okinawa.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Congratulations! I know what influences the Marine Corps's choice, but what influenced your choice?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Congrats!

Expect to be class leader when you class up. You might have your hands full. The USAF SMAs have a history of requiring some special attention.

If you would like our Senior Marine's contact (work) info PM me. If you are married and your wife wants info, I can put you in touch with our Ombudsman.

Stop me in the P-way if I don't see you first.

Take care,

Boyd

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Congratulations! I know what influences the Marine Corps's choice, but what influenced your choice?

I put Hercs, Jets, Helos as my choices. I came from Prowlers so the obvious choice would be to go back there. But it's already in writing that Marine Prowlers are going away. The mission right now is very benign and limited..... not the typical Electronic Attack that used to be. As they begin to shut down squadrons, less chances for me to fly/command/have fun. Also, only possible duty station is Cherry Point. Even more so now since they are moving the FRS from Whidbey Island. I'll pin on Major sometime this year so Hornets or Harriers wasn't a realistic option. I probably could have gotten either if I wanted but if I showed up to the fleet as a Major with no quals, they wouldn't know what to do with me.

I put Hercs first because the mission isn't going anywhere, the planes are all new and it seems to fit my personality more. There are a lot of guys in the Herc community that have transitioned from somewhere else (jets and helos) so that is a plus for me. It's a LOT of flying compared to jets which equals more fun (usually). Hercs are supposed to get 3 "gunships" for each squadron. There's at least a chance to get stationed somewhere other than Cherry Point including overseas. There's the possibility of exchange tours with other countries (Australia is one if I remember). Plus, the bonus for Hercs is the biggest and you get a lot of per diem which means, if you're smart about it, you can bank a lot of cash..... that's just icing on the cake. Hercs seems to have a lot going on, the missions are always different and you're always going somewhere.

On the career side, it wasn't an easy choice because by going Hercs, I had to accept that fact that I may never make it past Major. Sure, there are Herc COs that were once jet or helo guys but for an NFO it's different. I started VT-6 with over 1500 flight hours but exactly ZERO PIC time. So I'll show up to the fleet as a Major with, essentially, the same flight time as a 1stLt. I have no problem being a terminal 0-4 because I think a career is what you make of it. 20 years of service is 20 years of service.

FlyinRock

Semper Fi and Well Done!
The Herc is the ONLY heavy iron I ever cared to fly and all I got to do was fly in them or jump out of them ....... sigh
Rocky

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Congrats ... were I goin' USMC NavAir today ... I'd think Hercs to be a very, very good deal.

Okinawa is a great place if you know how to "work it".

Fly safe.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Way to go, Jim! Enjoy your stay in Corpus; my multi-engine buddies said going through the advanced VTs there was a good time.

What are the prospects looking like for the Marines staying in Okinawa? Last I heard, a move to Guam was in the cards, if they could figure out the infrastructure. Yes? No?

KBayDog

Let's break this down:

...less chances for me to fly/command/have fun.

Please note the order: "Have fun" is listed after "command." What kind of Captain are you?

I'll pin on Major sometime this year...

Aha...this sheds some light on to your jacked up priorities.

...if I showed up to the fleet as a Major...they wouldn't know what to do with me.

You have a point there.

It's a LOT of flying compared to jets which equals more fun (usually).

And more fun is something Field Grade tend to frown upon (usually).

Plus, the bonus for Hercs is the biggest and you get a lot of per diem which means, if you're smart about it, you can bank a lot of cash...

AHA! Now we're getting to the bottom of it. You selected Hercs because, deep inside, you're a Merc. Got it.

On the career side, it wasn't an easy choice because by going Hercs, I had to accept that fact that I may never make it past Major.

Perhaps it is time to put "have fun" ahead of "command"?

So I'll show up to the fleet as a Major with, essentially, the same flight time as a 1stLt.

And a lobotomy.

I have no problem being a terminal 0-4 because I think a career is what you make of it. 20 years of service is 20 years of service.

Again, time to put "fun" ahead of "command."

Haha, just busting you, man. :D Congrats, and get to Miramar. It's worth it.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Way to go, Jim! Enjoy your stay in Corpus; my multi-engine buddies said going through the advanced VTs there was a good time.

What are the prospects looking like for the Marines staying in Okinawa? Last I heard, a move to Guam was in the cards, if they could figure out the infrastructure. Yes? No?

We're considering trying to go to Okinawa.... or Guam if that's the case. Lots of unknowns to figure out but Otter is going over there soon so we'll get the gouge from him.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
KBayDog....... well played! Family and fun definitely come first. Command has never been a goal for me.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Congrats! Maybe we'll get to fly together soon. Any questions come up along the way let me know.

Hercs seems to have a lot going on, the missions are always different and you're always going somewhere.

Holy shit that's the truth, busy to say the least.

SF

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Congrats ... were I goin' USMC NavAir today ... I'd think Hercs to be a very, very good deal.

Okinawa is a great place if you know how to "work it".

Fly safe.

yeah, sure A4s- I'm sure you'd rather go Hercs than sling JDAM and 25mm at the enemies of freedom!:D I'm not buyin' it for a second!