• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got my first choice.... Hercs!

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Congrats on your aircraft choice; per diem, box lunches, a head in the back and hot coffee in the galley are waaaay better than command!

Where do you guys do your transition, nowadays that you have the robo-Herc J-models?

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Congrats on your aircraft choice; per diem, box lunches, a head in the back and hot coffee in the galley are waaaay better than command!

Where do you guys do your transition, nowadays that you have the robo-Herc J-models?

From what I've been told, there's no true FRS for Hercs anymore. You go to either Cherry Point or Miramar for ground school and flying the sim..... it's about 4 months. Apparently you can log the sims as flight time. Is that even possible? Then you go to your squadron.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
From what I've been told, there's no true FRS for Hercs anymore. You go to either Cherry Point or Miramar for ground school and flying the sim..... it's about 4 months. Apparently you can log the sims as flight time. Is that even possible? Then you go to your squadron.

They have streamlined the process a bit better as of late with an ATU in Miramar. Now guys going to Miramar or Oki are doing the ATU in Miramar, 252 guys do it in Cherry Point. You probably know better than me if they are still using Little Rock - last I heard they were planning on getting away from training with the Air Force, especially since guys coming from there still require a good amount of training to relearn everything the "Marine Herc way".

I remember hearing the same things going through the ATU that we could log the sim time as flight time - as it stands now my J mod time logged as flight time is all actual aircraft time.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I've seen an UNCLASS capability brief on the system. It's pretty damned cool, and a great capability if it works out. An ISR/mini-JDAM/Hellfire platform, with the play time of the Herc, that can refuel aircraft with bigger ordnance? Sounds like a FAC's dream come true.

It's amazing, though, that they can make this work, but they can't build a little box to adapt the UYQ-3B (DASC communications container for airborne ops) to the J model. WTF?

Congrats on getting your first choice. I remember you mentioning transitioning to pilot while I was at MATSG, and I'm glad it's worked out.

KBayDog

It's amazing, though, that they can make this work, but they can't build a little box to adapt the UYQ-3B (DASC communications container for airborne ops) to the J model. WTF?

Can't, or won't? After all, who wants another body on board drinking all of the coffee and stopping up the toilet? ;)

Don't worry, gaijin, you can fly with us anytime. We are always in need of someone to stand the 2200-0600 watch while the rest of us sleep aboard the Hotel Boeing.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
You know, onboard a 46 is probably safer than nearby if anything goes wrong. (I'm having flashbacks of busted rotor blade shards doing their impersonation of flechettes through a tent.) That being said, Afghanistan would be a prime place to have a DASC(A) capability, which means we would need a little more altitude. Sorry, but thanks for playing!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Congrats on Herc's. I have a high school friend who is flying Herc's now, he's having a blast.

Big Biff

Got Em
Regarding this Harvest Hawk. Is this wise to have a giant slow refueling platform circling around a hostile target and firing its 30 mike mike. It seems like it would be as safe as putting a Mark 19 on top of a fuel tanker and hoping for the best.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Regarding this Harvest Hawk. Is this wise to have a giant slow refueling platform circling around a hostile target and firing its 30 mike mike. It seems like it would be as safe as putting a Mark 19 on top of a fuel tanker and hoping for the best.

Ideally the new firey finger of God will be out of range of small arms, and having a HVAA near any SAM isn't smart even when it's not full of JP-8 so that's no different with the new weapon system.

Can anybody confirm if the vision for this is for it to fill both roles on the same flight or is it an either or thing?

The classic Marine answer...It's all METT-TC dependent.

phrogpilot73

It'll probably be no different than the Current AC-130 Spooky/Spectre.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Can anybody confirm if the vision for this is for it to fill both roles on the same flight or is it an either or thing?

With only a few birds configured this way in each squadron, there will more than likely not be the need for one to fill both rolls on the same flight. However, the idea is that it can if it needs to.

It'll probably be no different than the Current AC-130 Spooky/Spectre.

Exactly, except we can carry more and fly faster - and we don't come with all the AF shenanigans.