• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Got prior military?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhollin1

I asked my recruiter how much "pull" one has being prior military. He told me that being prior military would absolutely no effect on your application in front of the board. Can some of you call and ask your recruiter if this is true and let me know? That just doesn't sound realistic to me.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

Valion310

My recruiter says it's definitly a bonus, its not a golden ticket, but it might help tip the balances in our favor. I guess its logical to presume the board knows that prior military looking to go officer are proven dependable, and know the system for the most part. I dunno, what your recruiter said doesn't sound right either unless he(she) is just trying to get that from being a focus with you and forcing you to focus on other aspects.(?)

Valion310 out-

jaznups

Well mine told me that civies actually get put into a higher priority for OCS in general and he told me that it's actually harder if you're prior to get in... that could be totally wrong but I thought I'd share...

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

jaznups

what do you mean who's my recruiter? I doubt you'd know him by name I'm from NRD Chicago

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

WFU2USN

I think it may be tougher for prior's because they expect more of us - as in having been top notch sailors (or Marines, Airmen, Soldiers..) - But it's the government.. you never know!!

...just a thought :)

jaznups

I am in San Diego right now just for an exchange term at ucsd... but Im from Chicago and go to school in New hampshire...

rhollin1

I don't understand why it would be harder to get in if your prior. jaznups, whats your recruiters contact info? I want to give him a ring as find out what that is all about.

jaznups

I think it's something like what WFU2USN said...but like I said this is purely speculation... it could be off base so I wouldn't worry...

kaiangel

Jaznups,
How do you like San Diego? I hear UCSD is a good school, I currently go to USD. Have you had a chance to see a lot of the Navy while you are here?

BONE77

Hey Jaznups and rhollin, you guys are prior right? Man, this is the first I've heard that they don't like priors, I see a lot of them getting accepted, like that dude mike that got the call a few days ago. I also see alot of officers in each branch that are prior. Not saying you guys are wrong, but why would a prior military not make a good officer? Any insight??!?!?!?!?

jaznups

Nope I'm not prior...

Like I was saying I have no idea why it would be harder I'm just telling you what the man told me. I think it may be because the Navy holds a higher standard of you and it may be easier for them to checkup on you when you're already in the system which I think is a benefit but I guess my recruiter was playing devil's advocate??

kaiangel---
I'm liking UCSD especially the weather...and it's A LOT LESS stressful than my university... I believe that this is the break I really needed! Oh cool USD believe it or not I haven't really seen San Diego b/c it REALLY SUX that I don't have a car and depending on other ppl blows! But I'm getting picked up Friday morning by my ascessions officer to take a tour of the base and to meet the CEC and Seabees on base and to do my interview...(the last piece of the puzzle :-P) I think I might try to get to port henueme to see the Seabee museum...

AS far as seeing a lot of Navy that I haven't seen... I have seen a lot of marines...
But this weekend I have a little lull in classes and Im going to explore :) Anyone have any suggestions of must sees? where should I go... I already know the zoo and sea world... but Im saving that... anywhere else?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
OK, my 2 cents on this subject. I am not 100% sure (maybe someone else can pitch in on this), but I would imagine that there are XX number of slots set aside for OCS applications through the Fleet. Maybe not "hard filled" or restricted to enlisted fills only, but the normal year round historical accessions that BUPERs is counting on to fill the ranks from prior enlisted. That would of course be the first advantage that a prior might have over someone straight out of college.

Others I can think of that look good, are the quality of the tour in the Navy that that prior had, did they get warfare qualified, medals and personal awards recieved, etc.

The prior has better access to getting personal letters of recommendations from Officers and NCOs that they WORKED for, and had the opportunity to see them in a real work setting.

The prior has already been evaluated under the Navy's eval system, a form readily understood by the board. Don't know how helpful this would be, since the evals have once again gone back to the old overrated style...

And I think the strongest factor, and as previously mentioned, is the fact that a prior is a PROVEN commodity in some respects. The prior KNOWS what they are getting into, and the chances of that person succeeding in the Fleet and being retained are that much higher. Plus, the Navy likes to promote from within, and keep all that hard taught experience for itself.

Is a prior a shoe in? No, I don't necessarily think so, you still have the ballistic spread from sub par, to mediocore, to stellar sailors. Is it a check in the box for the OCS package? A big YES. Especially when it comes down to breaking a tie between two applicants, a definite factor that would come in to play.

Someone mentioned "expecting more" out of a pior, and I would have to say that that is true for when they get picked up to become an Officer. From my commissioning day on, without a doubt, I have been held to a higher standard than those other freshly minted junior officers. I have been expected not to make the same mistakes and have been weighted down with more responsibility than my non prior peers. COs and XOs look for and expect more out of their mustangs in their wardroom.

rhollin1

I keep hearing prior this and prior that. What are you guys referring to as prior? I am prior Navy in a since that I did three years and actually got out. Are some of you calling yourself prior Navy and are still in?

Status
Not open for further replies.